mysterious phone calls from an 0818 number.

amok

Hi
I have a had a call yesterday and today from an 0818 number and do not know who it is - when I answer there is silence - has anyone else had one of these calls. I rang enquiries and they have had a few enquiries themselves but do not know who it is.
amok

I had a similar problem a few years ago and I reported it to telecom's nuicance phone call section. (I told a "mental reservation" ie that I thought the silent caller might be breathing). The calls were at the same time everyday and eircom took over the line and intercepted it. Eircom never told me the caller but it never happened again.

Thank you very much - I tried ringing eircom nuisance calls but they are off for the holiday will ring them Monday - the calls are at the same time each day.
amok

Try googling the number, it might bring up some results for you - most likely to be call centre, the silence is the automatic dialler who only connects to a real person when it detects that the call has been answered (i.e. when you speak).

Check the number with Eircom customer care. It could be the text number for text enabled phones. If your phone is not text compatible then the number will ring repeatedly. It's very annoying but once Eircom block it you won't have to worry about it again.

Ask about the text number specifically because not all operators are familiar with it.

Another thought - it might be eircom themselves! This happened friends of mine some time ago, kept getting calls from a number, eventually called eircom who admitted it was their own sales dept!

if i get weird calls like that i usually leave the phone off the hook and let them pay....or if they really annoying i tend to ring Malicious cals 1800689689 and play the recorded message on how to deal with these calls to the prank caller.... ;)))

I remember sometime ago that somebody sent a text to my landline phone which was not text-enabled. As a result, the phone used to ring at weird times as some-server-somewhere was trying to send the text through. Just a thought......

It might be worth sending yourself a text to the landline and see if the same number turns up.

Back