My tenant is interested in buying me out

I wouldn't have let them know that there was any mortgage on the house at all. Let them make an offer and if they don't, so what, just continue to rent to them.

I think you should settle for a reasonable discount against open market value, something like 5%.

You won't have the hassle of marketing, cleaning up for sale, an empty period before new owner, less risk of sale falling through, etc. They may want to take furniture too which a third party almost certainly won't.

Start with a few valuations and take it from there. It might be easiest for both parties to negotiate via solicitor (but this will cost more).
Actually, when I was offered a sale by my landlord, a friend who is an estate agent handled the price negotiation. Came up with a price that seemed reasonable to both (until legal issues popped up and made it impossible).

Anyway a valuation typically costs around 150 euro, get someone to value it and start from there. I wouldn't seriously discount it, but take into account your own savings as opposed to the cost of putting on open market.

Back