My sisters keeper

JJ1982

Hello

Has anybody made it to see this film yet? I went to see it last night It was good I enjoyed it, had a few tears, it was totally built up to give lots of tears! Weirdest thing of all is that the ending was different to that in the book!

I've not seen the film but I have read the book. Can't believe they change the end of the book!!

I know!! I was waiting for it at the end and then it just doesnt happen!! Seemingly Jodi Piccoult sold them the whole rights and they decided on this. Unreal. If you do go and see it, definitely bring tissues. I had a wet cardigan going home!

They changed the end!! no way i'm going to see it now. There's nothing more irritating than a film totally changing the story of a book and making a mess of it.

That book haunted me for weeks, particularly the ending! It's been changed in the film???? Thanks for the warning, I'll probably still go and see it but at least I'm prepared for the change now.

Pretty obvious now what "doesn't happen" at the end. Kinda ruining it for people don't you think?

No

Well yes maybe for people who have read the book, but in a way I would have liked to have known the ending was changed going in to see it

If you havent read the book or seen the film, then it doesnt ruin it at all!

Last edited:
Well yes maybe for people who have read the book, but in a way I would have liked to have known the ending was changed going in to see it

I've read the book but not seen the film yet and I would rather know they change the end beause otherwise I would be waiting, as it were, for the book ending.

Years ago I was reading a Maeve Binchy book that I had eagerly waited for while my two older sisters read first - a few chapters in one of my sisters said "it's so sad when (names main character) dies". I was really annoyed at her for telling me anything about it. For the whole book I was waiting for the death which never came! Teenage sisters can be very mean!

Went to see this movie last night. The book is far better. It was one of those manipulative films where they play a sad song and you're supposed to cry, they play an upbeat song and you should probably feel 'hopeful' etc. It was depressing. I didn't enjoy it.

Even if you know what the movie is about you couldn't possibly know about the ending of the book without reading it.

You could know the ending of the book without reading it. However, if you haven't read the book, "knowing the story behind it" really isn't going to impact you in the same way as if you had read the book.

Having read the book, I'm happy to know the film has changed the ending because otherwise I'd be waiting for something that's not going to happen. Was it made in America? that might explain the change, they are known to change film endings because they want everything "Disney happy" :rolleyes:

Yes it's classic disney style film -making, they tone down any of the nasty characters and totally remove the character of Julia. It could have been a great film dealing with the serious issues of cancer, mortality and 'designer babies' but instead it's been dumbed down to nothing but a hollywood weepy, it's so infuriating! (i must admit i'm basing this on reviews i've read, but i have read a lot of them!) and i'm not going to see it in protest!

I'm just thinking it's very like the movie of the devil wears prada. I read the book and was so disappointed with the film! Miranda's character was so soft and bland compared to the book and the alcoholic flat mate is convieniently written out.

Ach, it's always the same, once you've read the book the film is never as good. Perhaps the Happy Potter films are the exception as they stand well in their own right IMO.

I may give it a miss now, will see how busy I am, it was on my "must see" list but now it's demoted to "maybe I will, maybe I won't"

Even if you know what the movie is about you couldn't possibly know about the ending of the book without reading it.

I didn't say I knew the ending of the book. I actually said that the stated quote gave it away. Doesn't bother me because I won't be going to see it but I just thought it was a bit unfair for anyone that wanted to.

Back