My PRSI record is in a mess. Can it be sorted?

Kimmagegirl

I worked for 6 years from c1969 to c1977. I had a PRSI number.

I then signed on credits, from c 1977 to c1986. When I signed on, the Department of Social Welfare couldn't find a record of my PRSI number despite the fact that I had worked in 3 different companies and made PRSI contributions for about 8 years. I was allocated a temporary new social welfare number.

During this period when I was signing on for credit I was then told that I couldn't use the temporary number anymore and I was asked to continue signing on using my husband's PRSI number.

I then stopped signing on credits around 1986.

I went back to work full time in the year 2000. I was allocated yet another PRSI number. I still have this number to this date. I will reach age 66 in 2018.

Should there be a record of all these PRSI numbers somewhere? The companies that I worked for from 1969 to 1977 no longer exist.
Should there be a record of my "temporary number".
Should there be a record of my "credits" when I was using my husband's social welfare number?

As I approach retirement age and I hear about all the averaging of years I am concerned that I might not receive a proper state pension.

Hi, unfortunately I can't help, except to say this is a widespread problem, and not just for women who married and got a new PRSI number.

My mam and aunt both retired in the past 4 years, and there was a lot of back and forth in each of their cases to get their PRSI records in order.

This sounds like it's a common problem, so there must be people who have been through it that can advise.

They both got sorted in the end, but there was a delay of several months in my mam getting her pension.

Even with no prsi number, I would go to my local tax office and enquire if the companies that you worked for paid any prsi on your behalf, surely they should be able to help you with this and maybe
even dig up one of your old prsi numbers.

Before 1979, you would have had an insurance number. These were replaced by RSI numbers (now called PPSNs ).in 1979.

The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection have paper and electronic records going back many years. There should be links between the various numbers you were given in the Department records.

Your first port of call should be to contact the Department and apply for your PRSI record. You can then see what gaps might exist and see how they might be filled.

Kimmagegirl be very careful. On my admittedly cursory reading of this issue in relation to women in particular it may or may not be beneficial to you to have records from a long way in the past. Because of the new rules brough it on how they calculate it. Don't dispute with PRSI department until you have that figured out. I suggest you do a calculation on here with excellent posters like Gipimann to work out the best scenario for you.

Even with no prsi number, I would go to my local tax office and enquire if the companies that you worked for paid any prsi on your behalf, surely they should be able to help you with this and maybe
even dig up one of your old prsi numbers.
This has nothing to do with the tax office; as Gipimann has said, it's a matter for DESP, they're the ones that hold whatever relevant records exist.

Bronte. My thoughts exactly.

But isn't that a joke? Kimmagegirl just might qualify for a full state pension based on her contributions from 2000 to 2018.

Based on her contributions when using her husband's PRSI number back in the 1980's but not on her earlier 1970's contributions, she might get a lesser pension.

Based on her total contributions back to 1969 the figure could be different again.

So this same woman could be quoted 3 or 4 different amounts of pension based on what she discloses. The important words being "based on what she discloses" because it appears that records are probably not linked.

This scenario could be played out differently by thousands of women who are in a similar situation, all playing the system that is playing them.

Even though she was moved to her husband's number the letter W would have been added to his number so effectively you have 2 seperate numbers (His 1234567T and wife's 1234567TW)

Even though she was moved to her husband's number the letter W would have been added to his number so effectively you have 2 seperate numbers (His 1234567T and wife's 1234567TW)

That's very interesting. I don't believe that I have the additional letter W added on to my husband's number. I have no correspondence about this. I would hate to think that I was signing on credits for several years which were meaningless.

I have had 3 numbers as well, I got one when I initially started working back in 70s, then when I got married in mid 80s my number changed to my husbands but with a W on the end and then again at some later stage, can't remember when, I was given a new number because the department were reverting back to individual numbers for everyone rather than a wife just being a 'W' addition to husband's number.

I have only had 2 employers in total and over 30 yrs with one of them so know my record is ok and the second employer time covers both the W number and the new individual number.

Monbretia, I had my own number initially, then my husbands number with a W on the end. I was given my own old number back, when they reverted back to individual numbers for everyone.
Kimmagegirl - did you keep P60s or payslips, or any other documentation from your previous employments?

Back