My property investment club is closing

PaxmanK

So over the years I have been involved in a property investment club. Basically its a bunch of guys who meet once a month to discuss our rental properties and share issues so we can help each other. So the other night it turned out that two of us now still own investment property but one is doing airbnb and I have it mine just short term let and have actually decided to sell it when the short term let is up in the summer.

Curious how fast our group shifted out of property investment after rent control and legislation that changes with the weather started.

I dont think any of us will ever get back to property investment to be honest.

Anyone else have a similar dwindling in their circle of landlords to former landlords.

I think its probably similar among other landlords.

The result sadly is that nobody is interested in this once vibrant club anymore (i guess because they arent property investors anymore and no new blood is coming into it), so we just decided to disband. Pity because at one point I found it very interesting and informative and actually looked forward to it every month.

Anyway, just an observation I thought id share as I got some really great answers on here to questions I have posed for the group in the past.

I wonder why so many are getting out. Is it an age thing, are your cohort just too old and comfortable to deal with all the new hassle, because letting, rather than speculation on price, is as profitable as ever.

Many people who can afford another mortgage for purchase of a letting property are in their mid to late 50's. I'm in my mid 60's and wouldn't touch the property market in Ireland in a fit. You're right, too much hassle, too much outlay, problems with cash-flow, uncertain future.

Mid 60's is "Me-time" and after 50 years of working fulltime, I reckon it's about time I thought of me.

I wonder why so many are getting out. Is it an age thing, are your cohort just too old and comfortable to deal with all the new hassle, because letting, rather than speculation on price, is as profitable as ever.

We ranged in age from about 35 to 60 over the years.
I think we all just arrived at the conclusion that I'm the past we found it fun and intereating to chat about and help each other out, even in the bad times, but for the last 4 or 5 years none of us can remember having any enjoyment out of it. So as the numbers dwindled and people sold up and just lost interest it was a downward slope really.
Kinda sad. It was nice to have few pints and a chat every month. I think it's just been depressing us all for a while now.
I'm going to try to get the meetup going again for the Craic and it will be another common subject and we won't be allowed to speak about property. It's like men's sheds :

Back