My pc sounds like the cargo-loader from aliens.

Irish Garden

My pc sounds like the cargo-loader from aliens.
Hello all.
My home office sounds like the loading bay of the spaceship Sulaco.

You see, my Dell Vostro 400 has been causing me some concern with the sounds it is making while it is under very little pressure, if any.
It seems to make what sounds like an ummh, ummh, ummh, sound for a burst of about three to five, then silent for a while, then it begins all over again.
I suppose you could compare the sound to a quieter version of that made by the hydraulic rams of an exosuit cargo-loader.
You know the one used by Ripley in the aliens movie.

_ripley-powerloader.jpg

This sound happens even though the cpu usage is at about 1-2% and page file at about 697mb or so.
Under no pressure really.

What I have found does stop these sounds is when go into display properties and change my screen resolution to 1280 x 1024 pixels.
But as the monitor is 1680 x 1050, and I am used to its unsquashed look, this is not the ideal situation.

My pc specs.

Base...... Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q6600 processor (2.40GHz, 1066MHz, 8MB cache)

Memory...... 4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]

Monitor...... 22in E228WFP WIDESCREEN UK/Irish (1680 x 1050) TCO99 DVI-D

Video Card...... 256MB ATI® Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics card

Hard Drive...... 500GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst cache

Running..... XP professional.

Would any of you know a way to halt the constant sounds but still keep a sharp resolution.

Fan noise? Is there a fan on the graphics card? Anything (cable?) touching that fan or the CPU fan? You'll have to open the box. Inspect cables/fans, Google for similar problems . . ultimately you may have to call Dell support to see about replacing a faulty fan.

Back