My mam has just gotten her travel pass

elacsaplau

Just wondering about any good uses for this that may not be immediately obvious - like what ferries can she use it on in Ireland and apart from NI, does it have any currency internationally? And anything else to note....

She's free on all trains and busses. Free trip out to the Aran Islands, if using it in Northern Ireland it's bit more complicated but look up citizen information about that. Can't be used outside of the country.

It's great perk to have but I don't know how long more the country can sustain it especially now with reduced capacity in all trains and busses.

Her spouse can also travel free with her even if that person is under pension age.

Her spouse can also travel free with her even if that person is under pension age.
She needs to check which card she has as there are 3 categories of free travel:
  • If FT-P is written on her Public Services Card, you personally are entitled to free travel.
  • If FT+S is written on her Public Services Card, your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant can join you for free when you are travelling (they cannot travel for free alone). A cohabitant is one of a couple who live together, but are not married or in a civil partnership. Your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant’s name will not be on the card.
  • If FT+C is written on her Public Services Card, a companion (over 16) can travel with you for free (because you are unable to travel alone for medical reasons).

Previously it was valid at off peak times only, then some government changed it so that they could get more grey votes.

This means premium seats are effectively subsidised by fare payers.

It should revert back to off peak travel only and this would kill off talk about getting rid of it.

Possibly have a special peak rate (same as child rate) for those who want to use peak times

Previously it was valid at off peak times only, then some government changed it so that they could get more grey votes.

This means premium seats are effectively subsidised by fare payers.

The original logic of the FTP was to spread demand more evenly over the day. Commuters got to travel with less congestion, pensioners got to travel for free if they went off peak. A win-win.

Allowing it for peak-time usage (Mary Hanafin I think in 06 or 07) was truly daft.

That's very flippant you obviously don't require the service. Many older people living in rural Ireland would be lost without it.
They are more likely to get lost if they use it;)

How about giving it to people who need it and not giving it to people who don't need it?
Do pensioners really need it? We have some of the highest pensions in the world and as a group pensioners are the richest people in Ireland with the lowest risk of living in poverty. I'd sooner see it given to those on low wages who have to use public transport to get to work.

How about a reduced rate rather than free?

purple, you are aware that approx 50% of the population survive sorely on the State pension for their income. They not all rich. They the generation who went through the tough times earning a pittance here and abroad in years gone by. But yes I agree it should be means tested but I'm sure the rich wouldn't travel on buses anyway.

purple, you are aware that approx 50% of the population survive sorely on the State pension for their income.

Imagine if free travel, free medical cards etc. were removed from some of the other 50%, there might be more in the kitty so support those who really need it. Maybe the tax burden on working people could be lowered and we could all save a little more for retirement.

And speaking of retirement, I am that person and I hope to have my travel pass in a few months and I am looking forward to it.
It will be the only free anything that I am entitled to.

It's great perk to have but I don't know how long more the country can sustain it especially now with reduced capacity in all trains and busses.

No government would risk getting rid of this. The “grey vote” is too lucrative.
The Green Party are trying to increase public transport infrastructure, there is no way they’ll put any barriers to people using public transport.

And speaking of retirement, I am that person and I hope to have my travel pass in a few months and I am looking forward to it.
It will be the only free anything that I am entitled to.
Will you not get a medical card?

purple, you are aware that approx 50% of the population survive solely on the State pension for their income. They not all rich.
Welll... are they cohabiting but taxed as individuals? Do they have rental income? Do they have savings or shares? Are they sitting on hundreds of thousands they could release by trading down? Sure, many of them have to live off one of the most generous pensions in the world (along with their free travel, fuel allowance, living alone package, household benefits package, mobility allowance etc) but most are doing just fine. As a cohort they are the richest group in society who have the most savings, the highest disposable income and are least at risk of living in poverty. I like to see welfare going to those who need it, like that small minority of pensioners.

They the generation who went through the tough times earning a pittance here and abroad in years gone by.
So di the generation in their 40's and the generation in their 20's will never be able to have the homes or pensions of those who are now retired. Every generation works hard, let's stop the myth that pensioners had is harder than anyone else.

Back