My driving license is up for renewal - should I get a Public Services Card?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I have no idea what a Public Services Card is. I have never had a need for one.

But is it something I should get anyway?

The website is terrible. I can't find a simple answer to how do I get one?

Could someone explain the basics.

1) Why would I need a PSC?
2) Does it make it easier to renew my driving license? Would I be better off going directly to Nutgrove.
3) How do I actually get one?
4) How long does it take - my driving license expires on 7 April.

Citizens information is always a better source

If you have a PSC card you can renew your driving licence online, however things are so slow on anything in person with Welfare at the moment I'd book an NDSL appointment just in case.
Without PSC card you have to attend in person to renew.

I've had a Public Services Card for years (it's expired now), after they insisted that I had to have one, and I have never used it for anything. I haven't had to renew my driving license yet though. If it was me then I would just attend the NDLS centre in person to renew the driving license rather than also undergoing the hassle of applying for a useless PSC.

Last edited:
Brendan

Have you checked your renewal date on NDLS website, your may get another 10 months added to this renewal date.

I think it would be better to attend in person to one of the NDLS centres, just make sure you have all your documents, you may need a medical form if your licence is C1 or above.

Good luck

If you have a PSC card and a verified MyGovID account then for over 70s there's a few more handy things you can do, such as apply for the household benefits package (free tv licence and electricity credit per bill). Useful for bus pass also.

Have you checked your renewal date on NDLS website, your may get another 10 months added to this renewal date.

Never thought of that! But I checked it now and I got no extension.

The NDSL site is excellent. I made an appointment for the 10th Feb.

I presume I don't need to bring a photo with me and that they will take it there?

Brendan

I presume I don't need to bring a photo with me and that they will take it there?

Brendan
Yes, think so. When I requested a new license last year they did take a picture there and then.

Brendan
I got mine recently. All they asked me for proof of PPS. I had other documents but they didn't look forthem. Picture taken there. In and out in about 20 minutes.

'...Would I be better off going directly to Nutgrove...'
The motor tax office in Nutgrove is long closed.
NDLS handles licenses now,and are conveniently located in Leopards town,Santry and City West (in the respective shopping centres)

Hmmm,

For those whose licence expiry is extended here due to the back log, The extension Im sure is only valid in this Country.

If your travelling this summer, regarding Car Hire!! Don't get caught out, I cant see the Irish Licence Extension being valid with the car hire company.

For my drivers licence they just lifted the photo that I already have on my Public Service Card. Same for my Free travel card.

What do you mean "lifted"?
When I was getting my learner and full licenses they took a photo at the NDLS booth each time.

Back