My article in today's Sindo"Irish mortgages twice as expensive as eurozone"

Brendan Burgess

Founder
How much do mortgages cost in other European countries?

Irish mortgages twice as expensive as eurozone

It was edited a bit for space reasons. Here is the full text:

The average mortgage rate for new customers in Ireland is 4.2% whereas the average rate in the rest of the Eurozone is 2.09%. Yes, the rate in Ireland is actually double the Eurozone rate. So Paddy, who has a €200,000 mortgage, is paying €4,200 or €350 a month more than Pierre or Gunter.

And it’s not just variable rates. A German borrower can fix their mortgage rate for 10 years at just 2%. Bank of Ireland is the only Irish lender to offer a ten year fixed rate, and they charge 4.5%. Bankers say that there is no demand for long term fixed mortgage rates in Ireland. Well, at these rates, of course there is no demand! If borrowers could fix at rates of 2% for 10 years, there would be plenty of demand.

The Irish banks have claimed that the higher mortgage rates are due to their higher cost of funding. So are Irish banks more generous to depositors? They certainly are not. The average notice deposit rate paid by Irish banks is 0.48% compared to 1.03% in the Eurozone. So not only are Irish banks charging double the mortgage rate, they are paying only half the rate on deposits.

What about Irish banks which operate in Northern Ireland? The Minister for Finance told Michael McGrath in the Dáil this week that standard variable rates are higher in the North than in the South. But UK lenders price their mortgages according to the Loan to Value. A first time buyer, borrowing 95% of the price of the house, may well pay a high standard variable rate. But after a few years, when a combination of capital repayments and house price inflation reduces their loan to value, they get a much better rate. So, while AIB has a Standard Variable Rate of 4.75%, they charge 2.99% for borrowers whose mortgages are less than 60% of the value of their homes. And even that rate is not very competitive. HSBC offers its customers in Northern Ireland tracker rates as low as 2.19%.

upload_2015-4-5_9-45-21.png

The most expensive lender in Ireland is Danske Bank which has a Standard Variable Rate of 4.95%. Danske Bank in Denmark does not lend its own money to house buyers. Instead, it acts as an intermediary between depositors and borrowers. It issues long term bonds which depositors invest in. The funds are lent on to mortgage holders. And the rates? Mortgage rates are now negative. That is right. Danish borrowers are being paid around 0.2% to borrow money to buy a house. Of course, the interest rates on the bonds are negative also, which is not good news for Danish savers.

One of the worst aspects of the Irish lenders’ behaviour is the contempt they show for their existing customers. The lowest mortgage rate in Ireland is KBC’s 3.55%, but they give it to new customers only. KBC charges their existing customers 4.5% and refuses to reduce that rate. So you have the bizarre situation where KBC customers have to switch to another lender to avail of the other lender’s new business rate. Of course, many customers can’t switch because they have been in arrears or because their employment circumstances have changed so they are prisoners of the 4.5% rate.

The Minister for Finance has had a meeting with the Central Bank to put pressure on the banks to reduce the interest rates. But I have no confidence in the Central Bank. In August, they published a report claiming that new business rates in Ireland were 3.15%. When I queried this, they insisted that this was the correct rate and told me that I should not be relying on the rates mentioned in the banks’ ads. I discovered that they were classifying tracker mortgages as new business, despite the fact that no tracker has been given out since 2008. For some reason, the Central Bank has been misleading the public on mortgage rates. It’s unlikely that they will put pressure on the banks to reduce those rates.

What about the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission, the body with responsibility for advocating on behalf of consumers? When asked by Brian Hayes MEP to investigate the high rates they wrote back to him: “The Commission has no current plans to undertake any work in the area of Standard Variable Rates. To do so is not considered the best use of our resources”.

So 300,000 Standard Variable Rate borrowers are being overcharged €4,000 a year on their mortgages and the quango charged with the protection of consumers does not consider it to be worth investigating.

A legal cap on mortgage rates is a last resort, but we have reached that last resort.

Brendan Burgess is the founder of the consumer forum askaboutmoney.com

Interesting, good points.

Something appears wrong with the Danish model or very very right :)

Just thought I would add that it amounts to 1.2 Billion a year! Nice money if you can get it.

Great article Brendan.

Hi Brendan

In Denmark 'some 90% of private rented dwellings are located in municipalities with rent control' and 'in greater Copenhagen, social housing makes up 1/3 of the housing stock' (Social Housing in Europe - London School of Economics + Political Science 2007).

In contrast - in Ireland, the social rented sector accounts for 8% of the total housing stock of 1.5 million (2004) = Central Gov Statistics indicate that local authorities let 108496 dwellings in Dec 2004 + 15,500 housing associations. (Social Housing in Europe - London School of Economics + Politicla Science 2007).

To compound matters there is a free for all in the private rental sector in Ireland.

In other words, if a Danish family have their home repossessed, the social housing infrastucture or rent control act as a safety net. Contrast this with Ireland - when a Cork or a Dublin family lose their home what state housing support awaits them? 10 year waiting lists for social housing and a situation where landlords can charge what they want and where they won't accept rent supplement, and even if they did decide to accept it the Dept of Social Protection will refuse it as the market rent is higher than their threshold.

There is always a danger in comparing different practices in different jurisdictions without closely examining other vital contributory factors.

In this case - I don't believe you're comparing like with like.

Last edited:
Good article Brendan. I read it on the paper this morning.

Government says they will try to influence the banks to lower the SVR but these are government owned banks!!??

Good article. Just to add - with First Direct, which is linked to HSBC, you can get a tracker rate of 1.79% at the moment. I'm currently on this rate in Northern Ireland but considering moving to a two-year fixed rate at 1.59%.

Great article Brendan and very good coverage of the SVR apartheid by nearly all the main commentators in the Independent (I haven't seen the other papers).
Eoghan Harris' piece really resonated with me. I am definitely one of those "coldly angry coping class" Fine Gael voters (I gave them # 1 in the last election). Will be definitely re-thinking that one!

Great article Brendan! It's an absolute disgrace that the consumer protection commission aren't investigating this. Makes one wonder who they are protecting? o_O

Like Sallym, I'm seriously rethinking who I'll vote for in the next election based on this.

I too wrote to my local Fine Gael TD's this week whom I voted number 1 and 2 last time on the back of their promise to put pressure on banks squeezing their costs rather than ripping off variable rate holders. I told them that they I would not be voting the same way next year. No reply received yet.

SVR Rip Off...

Excellent article Brendan
- I think you really nailed it and the breakdown of figures should rally a lot more support for this campaign once people realise just how much this is costing them. I can't believe there are protests on the streets about the water charges which are meagre in comparison to this SVR Rip Off.

Personally, I am furious about this SVR situation, but like many I am trapped as I have 2 mortgages (thankfully, 1 is a tracker).
I have a KBC mortgage with SVR of 4.5% and I'm just trying to pay it down ASAP.

I have complained to KBC and quoted them on their marketing strap line 'the bank of you' -I put it to them- 'what can 'the bank of you' do for me, their loyal customer, who has over paid the mortgage every month for the last 7 years??, the offer, nothing.

I have submitted a written complaint to the Finance Ombudsman and quoted the Central Bank customer charter 'honesty, fair treatment, professionalism, interest rates conducive with the market conditions' etc., which they themselves are blatantly ignoring by ripping us off with the high SVR, I got a standard letter to acknowledge my complaint.

I thought when Brian Hayes and Michael Mc Grath both raised the SVR issue in the Dail recently that there might be some action. But No.
Instead, Michael Noonans' spineless comment on the Central Bank doing a bit more 'research' to see?? if Ireland's banks are charging excessively above the low ECB rate. Great, thanks for nothing Minister, I'll remember that when the election comes around again and how your inaction is costing me €350 a month- that's two 12 hour shifts on night duty, minding sick people, in my currency, CHEERS Minister!

Time To Act! I hope every Paddy with an SVR mortgage will rally against this issue in the name of equality if nothing else. I can't see Gunter in Germany or Pierre in Paris tolerating this inequity so why should we? Enough is enough!

Brendan, please advise, what do you think the most effective form of protest would be now?
-a petition from SVR holders demanding equality on SVR sent into Michael Noonan?
-a physical protest in front of the Dail?
-Other?

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks to Brendan & the rest of the people who are involved in the campaign. An online petition sounds like a great idea. I have just emailed my local TD's and Mr Noonan. I am looking forward to their reply.

Great Article ......very frustrating situation.

In terms of action it has been suggested to print off copies of an article such as this. Match it with a copy of the Taoiseach's statement that banks should pass on cuts. Cancel your monthly vsriable rate direct debit and then go into your bank every month and pay your mortgage less 1/2 % and hand in the printed articles, asking for copies to be placed on your mortgage record.

Where you are then contacted by bank arrears, simply ask for the name and email address of the bank employee. Then email copies of the article again and ask for a response. Copy your mail to 3 parties as follows.......1) local TD 2) Central Bank and 3) Competition and Consumer Protection Commission.

This approach has been suggested hopefully to also coincide with a public demonstration. Any comments ?

Good stuff Boss. You were on this case from early doors way before the current bandwagon. Indeed your record on the topic of mortgages goes back a long way to 1993 when you were (almost) as influential as the Hobbit in challenging Endowment Mortgages. BTW where is the Hobbit on this SVR thing? Strangely silent.

The real issue seems to be one of competition. Obviously not enough today, but heady competition was a main contributor to the intensity of the Irish crash. If mortgage rates were to fall to half current levels would that not threaten another bubble?

Nor do I agree with Shane Ross's call for Noonan to intervene as owner of the banks. That would be an interference in the marketplace in support of one particular constituency - those in negative equity could rightly argue that they are more deserving of the benefits of any direct State intervention.

The State has a duty to encourage healthy but sustainable market competition without direct interference. There are lots of conflicting priorities and objectives here, hard to know the right answer.

Have to agree with Duke - surely the homeless / rental crisis, characterised by years of under investment in social housing, rocketing private rents, in addition to Joan Burton's slashing of the rental supplement is as serious as the current relatively high SVRs?

If the Gov move to cap SVRs - why not move to cap the amount of rent that people pay to private landlords, especially when many families are paying more for rent than people on 'high' SVRs for similar priced properties?Is it really fair to assist people who are paying for their own asset and not assist those who are paying more money for someone else's asset? How are these people ever supposed to get on the property ladder if they are paying over 1500 euros rent for a basic house in Dublin?

Why not increase the rent supplement paid to struggling families?Are we all just going to accept Burton's Orwellian pronouncement that increasing the rent supplement will lead to a rise in rent for everyone - even though 99% of Dublin landlords refuse to accept rental supplement?

Why not divert the funds involved in reducing SVRs to social housing construction? We have the lowest percentage of social housing at 8% of dwellings in Europe.

The idea that the Government can force the banks into reducing SVRs without it having a knock on effect on the banks is misleading. I wonder what the posters will think if it transpires that the proposed 'last resort' cap on the SVRs will lead to the Government having to directly recapitalise the banks?

It's also naive to argue that the Government finances won't take a hit - and by implication, other sectoral interests such as the those directly dependent on state assistance through no fault of their own - if they introduce this 'last resort'.

Last edited:
Good stuff Boss. You were on this case from early doors way before the current bandwagon.

This story is all over the news, so many articles, letters and editorials on it. As another poster up thread mentioned, why do people take to the streets for water when their is serious money to be saved if mortgage rates come down.

This story is all over the news, so many articles, letters and editorials on it. As another poster up thread mentioned, why do people take to the streets for water when their is serious money to be saved if mortgage rates come down.
Bronte - I asked myself the same question about people protesting - I'm paying 4.5% on one mortgage and a whopping 5.8% on another. I asked PTSB to look at reducing the 5.8% one but got a straighforward No in response. Its in deep negative equity so no other lender will touch it. I thought I was one of a small number of people who was too dumb to be on a tracker. Then last week I discovered there are 300,000 of us getting screwed in silence.
My conclusion is that we're a different demographic than the water protesters brigade. The so called squeezed middle who have absorbed higher taxes, USC, property tax etc without complaining. I suspect that the majority of water protesters haven't been hit by those other charges to the same extent and are taking to streets now because it's the first time they're being asked to cough up.
The problem for Fine Gael is that I'd imagine a large slice of the 300,000 affected by this would be their voters. It's a smart move by FF to champion this issue.
I'm happy to support any sort of a concerted campaign to keep this in the news.

I hate to rain on the party but let me ask this question.

At the time when these mortgages were taken out weren't interest rates considerably higher?

So hardship indeed for anybody who has lost their job, but for the rest is this not just a moan that they are not getting the windfall benefits of ludicrously low official rates?

Back