Must all rental properties be registered with the RTB?

WaterWater

The property next door to me is a rental. The owner of the property lives overseas.

We are having a lot of problems with having to deal with overgrown trees, hedges, ivy.....mostly issues to do with gardening and general house maintenance.

The property is not listed on the RTB. Must all landlords register their rental properties with the RTB?

I've a gut feeling this issue could have long life repercussions My advice:- If you have contact details of your owner (next door) just contact him/her and inform of your issues.

Depends if it is actually rented.
It has been rented out now for close to 30 years. Different families over the years....mostly staying for 3 or 4 years at a time.

There is a company that handles the renting of the property. We have contacted them about the overhanging trees. They said that they would contact the owners but they have never responded to our concerns.

We have managed to maintain most of the growth on our side of the property over the years....but now nature is winning out as the trees have grown so tall that we cannot trim them back on our side of the property. Our age is also a factor in not being able to keep up with the relentless work.

Does the property have to be registered with the RTB?

This is a civil matter between you and the property owner/occupier and nothing at all to do with the RTB.

Depends if it is actually rented.
Indeed, it could be a licensee or rent-free arrangement.

but now nature is winning out as the trees have grown so tall that we cannot trim them back on our side of the property
Write the management company a letter saying "We intend to safely and professionally reduce the height of the trees by date X". Then get a tree surgeon in to do the work, pay them, and then send the management company a request looking for 50%.

You might get something back you might not. Either way the RTB status of the property is completely irrelevant.

Back