Music transfer from cassette to disk!

Liamog123

I have music on a cassette and I would like to transfer this to a disk. I am told it can be done with the help of a computer!
Ask wise folk out there with instructions to help a pensioner?
Regards,

Liamog123

If you played the audio on the casette and plugged a lead from the headphone output on the casette player to the audio input on a PC (microphone symbol), then use sound recorder or some such application from the Accessorie list on the PC to capture the audio.

The lead, 3.5 mil to 3.5 mil audio lead available from Maplin etc.

This should work, let us know how you get on.

It amazes me what info there is on the net!
Well done-exactly what I needed.

Can we ask again?

The tapes I have, are made by a choral teacher-she makes 4 seperate tapes for a 4 part choir. Mt tape to tape recorder is long since worn out! This is why I think it is better to transfer the learning lines to a C.D. Most folk to day have C.D. players.
Is it possible for this choral teacher to record directly on to a C.D? How much would a machine cost to do this? Expense is a problem.
Your help is appreciated,
Liamog.

The simplest way would be to use a portable digital voice recorder, and they start off pretty cheap — see [broken link removed] for an example, again from Maplins.
The recordings (in the form of .mp3 files or any other audio format) would just need to be transferred to a computer with a CD-RW drive and burned onto a blank audio CD.

I've moved this thread to the Phones, DVDs, TVs, Audio/Visual forum.

Well done-exactly what I needed.
I have to day ordered this recorder for £19-99, which seems to be amazingly good value,
Keep up the good work.
Regards,
Liamog123

I still have a problem.

As advised I purchased a digital voice recorder from Malpins, number VN-2100PC.
It arrived yesterday. I read the little book and made some recordings on to the new voice recorder. I then installed on to my pc, Digital Wave Player as supplied. I was able to transfer the recordings on my new OLYMPUS recorder to my pc. All hunky dory.

Now I would like to transfer these recordings from my pc to a cd disk and I am stumped! I have tried HELP without sucess. I have NERO on my pc-should that help?
Fingers crossed!
Liamog.

Nero will do it, Liam, or so will something as simple as Windows Media Player (installed on your PC). Whichever you use, I assume you want a CD which you'll be able to play on an ordinary CD player — so you want to create an Audio CD and not a Data CD. Best to use CD-R discs rather than CD-RW (more expensive, can be erased and re-used, but won't play back in all CD players).

[broken link removed] a brief walk-through, with a video tutorial.

Its a struggle.
Herself is the "expert" on pcs and I will ask her to try and explain how far she has progressed. Two pensioners struggling.

Hi, I have managed to transfer the recording from the digital recorder onto the pc.
I have also been able to drag the messages from the digital recorder site into the burn list in the media player site.
They won't burn onto the disc. A red x comes up beside each message.
If they are not compatable is there any way I can change the format of the messages?
Kind regards,
Liamog.

Its a struggle.
Herself is the "expert" on pcs and I will ask her to try and explain how far she has progressed. Two pensioners struggling.

Hi, I have managed to transfer the recording from the digital recorder onto the pc.
I have also been able to drag the messages from the digital recorder site into the burn list in the media player site.
They won't burn onto the disc. A red x comes up beside each message.
If they are not compatable is there any way I can change the format of the messages?
Kind regards,
Liamog.
Hi Liam

AAM people are great at helping out, so perhaps some might recognise the 'red x' problem that you mention. What kind of blank disc to you have in the disc drive?

However, I'm not sure if it is really practical to try to solve these problems via AAM. Is there anyone in your circle of family or friends who is reasonably PC literate? Many teenagers will be very familiar with burning CDs, and should be able to help you out fairly quickly. It is so much easier to fix these problems when you are on the spot.

Liamog and partner, mea culpa — if I'd looked more closely I'd have seen that the voice recorder you bought saves your files in a compressed format called [broken link removed] (Digital Speech Standard). Before you can burn them to an ordinary audio CD you'll need to convert them to a format that Windows Media Player can read — that's the reason you're seeing the little red x at the moment.

According to the Olympus website this is a fairly straightforward operation, using the DSS Player* software that came with your voice recorder — see [broken link removed]. Your files will be converted from .dss to .wav format, which you can then burn to an audio CD-R following the tutorial I linked to above. Give it a try and let us know how you get on!

(*You can also download the DSS player [broken link removed], if needs be.)

If the teacher has a PC/Laptop they could just use a Mic with that and record directly to the computer.

The last barrier has been surmounted. What a relief!

Due to visitors we had to leave the problem for 2 days and focus elsewhere.
Yesterday evening we called to a pc shop owned by my nephew. I was not optimistic.
I will ask herself, the expert, to continue.

Hi,
The files I had were wave files and the media player could not record them. Patrick told me to download Ashampoo and in that site Burn free. I did so and the files converted themselves into whatever format the system needed and burned perfectly!!! we are delighted and thank you so much for your help and advice.
EUREKA- problem solved.
Herself and Liamog.

Back