Munster -v- Leinster

Here's a question for Munster fans; if Munster lose next Saturday (and I accept that it's unlikely) will you then cheer for Leinster in the final?
If the answer is yes then you are a genuine rugby fan, if not then you are motivated more my deep rooted insecurity then pride about where you come from.

Furthermore, I always cheer them on, obviously not when they are playing Munster. In the Dug-Out after the Ospreys game, there was a sizeable crew of us watching them play 'Quins and hoping for the Leinster win. The further Irish teams get in the HC, the better it is for Irish rugby.

Furthermore, I always cheer them on, obviously not when they are playing Munster. In the Dug-Out after the Ospreys game, there was a sizeable crew of us watching them play 'Quins and hoping for the Leinster win. The further Irish teams get in the HC, the better it is for Irish rugby.

Well said, I'm glad to hear it.
I have travelled to see Munster play and will always support them except when they play Leinster.

I have travelled to see Munster play and will always support them except when they play Leinster.

I haven't travelled to watch Leinster, or that much to watch Ireland either. TBH, I found the more yobbish Leinster 'fans' in the crowd were more intent on booing O' Gara's mistakes than in actually cheering on the team as a whole. It put me off it unfortunately. That said, that was the Argentina game in Croker which was a bad game in which O'Gara was in a very strange mood! I like to follow Munster abroad when I can and so keep my money for those trips, aswell as getting to as many home games, ML and HC, as I can. I always try to watch Leinster's games when they are covered on TV.

Best and second best scenarios for this year's HC IMO;

Best - Munster retain title

Second best - title is retained in Ireland.

Here's a question for Munster fans; if Munster lose next Saturday (and I accept that it's unlikely) will you then cheer for Leinster in the final?
If the answer is yes then you are a genuine rugby fan, if not then you are motivated more my deep rooted insecurity then pride about where you come from.

I will root for Leinster if they beat us this weekend, Like baldyman I was in Limerick after QF and most people were for Leinster.

I have tickets for the final and I won't go if we don't make it.

Alot of Munster fans I know will want a good final and won't be pushed either way on who wins. If it's not in Munsters hands then it may be anywhere else. Not a veiw I share but this doesn't make them any less genuine as rugby supporters.

I will support Leinster if they beat Munster on Saturday. In a previous life when I lived in Dublin, I frequented Donnybrook on a Friday night to cheer on the Lions.

Same here. I spent many a good Friday night watching Leinster playing so if they do turn us over, I'll support them in the final.

Good to hear here is another question which comes first Ireland or your province? For me Ireland always first then Leinster and then(when) they are out whichever irish team is left in it.

Also we always here Munster fans salt of the earth etc Leinster fans all D4 heads etc.
When the AIL actually meant something in 90's and the internationals still played for their club teams I used to travel quite a bit to support my team. I was often down in Limerick for games and one of the most Ironic things is I remember is being in Thomond for an AIL game and the amount of Stick Trevor Brennan (you know your typical D4 leinster player) used to get from the terraces about how he used to be a Milkman :rolleyes:

Good to hear here is another question which comes first Ireland or your province?

Munster (I'm honest!)

the amount of Stick Trevor Brennan (you know your typical D4 leinster player) used to get from the terraces about how he used to be a Milkman :rolleyes:

I'm sure Trevor doesn't mind because De Danu is always packed out with Munster fans when we play over there, money is great medicine.;)

That really doesn't make much sense. You should follow your home team all the way, and when they are out you can root for anyone you want, but to not cheer on Leinster doesn't stop anyone from being a rugby fan. A rugby fan is just that, a fan of rugby.

That really doesn't make much sense. You should follow your home team all the way, and when they are out you can root for anyone you want, but to not cheer on Leinster doesn't stop anyone from being a rugby fan. A rugby fan is just that, a fan of rugby.
To not support an Irish team in an international competition shows a remarkable level of parochialism.

I'm a Munster man, married and living in enemy territory and will be at Croker in my red shirt on Saturday evening, next to my wife in her blue shirt. We were at Landsdowne Road in 06 and once we saw the draw for the semis that year, we sorted out flights and tickets for the final on the grounds that at least one Irish team would be there. Have to say, Mrs Sox enjoyed Cardiff that day. Often been to Donnybrook and the RDS to watch Leinster and have no problem shouting for them, except when they are playing Munster.

As for the Munster Bandwagon and a previous posters comments around 200 people in Dooradoyle in 99, he's right, no one watched inter-provincial rugby until the Heineken cup and Celtic league came along. Instead Limerick people watched their club and you could get 5-10000 for a Limerick derby in the AIL, especially if Garryowen, Shannon or Young Muster were involved. The difference in Munster is that as the AIL declined in quality, perople moved to watching the province and not the club. There is an arguement, that as no one watched AIL rugby in Dublin, that the bandwagon is in the Pale.

I just hope we get a good game and that the teams are not to all nicey-nicey to each other following the 6 nations. Up Munster

If muster lose, cmon Leinster

But, if munster win do you think Brian O'Driscoll will cheer on Munster???????

I'm a Munster man, married and living in enemy territory and will be at Croker in my red shirt on Saturday evening, next to my wife in her blue shirt. We were at Landsdowne Road in 06 and once we saw the draw for the semis that year, we sorted out flights and tickets for the final on the grounds that at least one Irish team would be there. Have to say, Mrs Sox enjoyed Cardiff that day. Often been to Donnybrook and the RDS to watch Leinster and have no problem shouting for them, except when they are playing Munster.

As for the Munster Bandwagon and a previous posters comments around 200 people in Dooradoyle in 99, he's right, no one watched inter-provincial rugby until the Heineken cup and Celtic league came along. Instead Limerick people watched their club and you could get 5-10000 for a Limerick derby in the AIL, especially if Garryowen, Shannon or Young Muster were involved. The difference in Munster is that as the AIL declined in quality, perople moved to watching the province and not the club. There is an arguement, that as no one watched AIL rugby in Dublin, that the bandwagon is in the Pale.

Not quite true you used to get 5-10000 fans at Marys v Terenure games. The AIL game that had the highest ever attendance was between a Leinster club and a Munster club. Other clubs also had big enough support as well- carlow had a big support. The only place that this was really true was in Ulster where the AIL teams had poor support unlike the Interpro where it was always strong.
People seem to forget that the overall record between the Leinster and Munster is Leinster have won 80, lost 41 and drawn 11 to be percise so who is historically the stronger province ;)

in the last 4 meetings between the 2 sides. Leinster have won 2 and munster have won 2.
last year Leinster won the league and last year munster won the cup.
this will be Leinster's 3rd european cup semifinal in 6 years.

nowhere near as good as munsters record but not a shameful record either (munster had 2 beaten finals before they won it) who can forget poor rog choking against northampton and then again against leicester tigers.

anyway...

Louth, kildare, Dublin, wicklow, wexford, carlow and meath are all represented in the normal starting first Leinster 15. D4 must be getting fairly large all the same?

unfortunately munster are not as representative of Irish counties. is there even one cork born player in the team? just the man mountain peter stringer. pity theres not more or they may have gone on strike.
unfortunately no one from kerry or waterford either.

it would seem that they have limerick fellas with 2 tipp lads and a clare man
a couple of Leinster men in the squad (dowling and ronan) and plenty new zealanders, australians, fijians, italians, south africans etc etc....

also, just to be clear. Leinster received the award from the Magners league for best supported team for the last 2 seasons running. munster were not second. apparently the bandwagon does not stop at thomond in the rain it goes only to france in the sun.

anyway i hope the best team wins.

Back