Multiquoting-how to do it?

S

swordshead

I have a few posts clocked up on aam but still havent figured out how to multiquote different sections of more than one poster. Can anyone shed any light?

Just hit the 'multiquote' button (on the bottom right, " + ) on each post that you want to quote from - button will be highlighted in red and the total posts will be added in succession to the post you are composing. Then just edit as required.

Similar query for you Swordshead: what is the function of the 'post quick reply' button do you know? I haven't used it yet.

The 'Quick Reply' buton at the end of each message just moves you down the page to the text box. The 'Post Quick Reply' button below this simply posts the contents of the box to the thread.
Leo

Click on for each post but one that you want to quote. For the last one click on and then your message will be initialised with each of the selected messages quoted. You can then edit/prune things and add your own comments (e.g. between the quoted extracts) as required. Make sure not to mess up the quote/end quote tags or things will not turn out as you planned.

Oh yeh..cool..thanks!!!

Just hit the 'multiquote' button (on the bottom right, " + ) on each post that you want to quote from - button will be highlighted in red and the total posts will be added in succession to the post you are composing. Then just edit as required.

Similar query for you Swordshead: what is the function of the 'post quick reply' button do you know? I haven't used it yet.

To my embarrassment, I did not know that. Really cool.

Brendan

To my embarrassment, I did not know that. Really cool.

Brendan

The good thing about AAM is it doesn't quote the other posts/quotes too and only the current posters dialogue. (if that makes sense? :eek:) Unlike other forums. Idk if that's customise by this forum admins when they set it up, or is it just the way vBulletin works better because it's commercial unlike phpbb?

The 'Quick Reply' buton at the end of each message just moves you down the page to the text box. The 'Post Quick Reply' button below this simply posts the contents of the box to the thread.
Leo

OK thanks - but is there any particular benefit?

Is there any difference in using this function rather than say, the standard 'post reply' button? Maybe I have misunderstood.

The good thing about AAM is it doesn't quote the other posts/quotes too and only the current posters dialogue. (if that makes sense? :eek:) Unlike other forums. Idk if that's customise by this forum admins when they set it up, or is it just the way vBulletin works better because it's commercial unlike phpbb?

I would call this "recursive" quoting - i.e. A quoted B who quoted C and when I quote A's post I get all of the above included ?

I don't recally seeing this as an option with vBulletin out of the box (at least the version that we're running) although if it's not a standard option then it probably could be done through customisation.

OK thanks - but is there any particular benefit?

Is there any difference in using this function rather than say, the standard 'post reply' button? Maybe I have misunderstood.
I think it just saves you physically having to scroll to the end of all the posts to hit "post reply" it automatically jumps you to the bottom of the screen without putting in the effort of scrolling!
Actually ive just noticed the quick reply box for the first time now...how observant am i? Just goin to try it out now!

Last edited by a moderator:
It may be helpful to point out that considerable fun may be had using this feature. But don't quote me on that. ;)
First off, where did you get ClubMan's quote from? And second that's a bit harsh, most sites would do a 24h bann and 3 of those get a lifetime ban if the continue abusing the system. And 3rd, I wonder would the AAM bann be beaten by use of a proxy or Dynamic IP/Mac address change?

There ya go!
I find if you message is very long in the Q-Reply it crashes.

First off, where did you get ClubMan's quote from? And second that's a bit harsh, most sites would do a 24h bann and 3 of those get a lifetime ban if the continue abusing the system. And 3rd, I wonder would the AAM bann be beaten by use of a proxy or Dynamic IP/Mac address change?
Er - I think DrM was joking. I certainly never said what he quoted me as saying.

First off, where did you get ClubMan's quote from? And second that's a bit harsh, most sites would give you an aul' back rub and send you on your way. And 3rd, I reckon the AAM ban would easily be beaten by the use of simple washing-up liquid. Hic!
Geddit? ;)

However, if you click the little button alongside the 'Originally Posted by...' bit you'll be brought back to what the poster really said.

Where is the multiquote button?
I can only see 'insert image', wrap QUOTE tags around selective text, wrap CODE tags, wrap HTML tags, wrap PHP tags.

(apart from QUOTE I don't know what any of these mean!)

Can't see any button highlighted in red?

Click on for each post but one that you want to quote. For the last one click on and then your message will be initialised with each of the selected messages quoted. You can then edit/prune things and add your own comments (e.g. between the quoted extracts) as required. Make sure not to mess up the quote/end quote tags or things will not turn out as you planned.

Where is the multiquote button?
It's the first icon in my post above which appears on each post when viewing a thread.
I can only see 'insert image', wrap QUOTE tags around selective text, wrap CODE tags, wrap HTML tags, wrap PHP tags.
Are you talking about on the message composition page? If so you are in the wrong place and you need to go back to the thread contents page.
Can't see any button highlighted in red?
The image changes to when you click it to include a post for quoting.

It's the first icon in my post above which appears on each post when viewing a thread.

Are you talking about on the message composition page? If so you are in the wrong place and you need to go back to the thread contents page.

The image changes to when you click it to include a post for quoting.

Am nearly there I think. Will see if I can separate the quotes now.

Not working for me I'm afraid. I was in the compose msg. screen initially so have gone to the thread screen instead. After multiquoting with the thread icon do I go into advanced posting and still use wrap quotes before posting? Doing that it still won't include the name of the original poster as in the above posts. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

After multiquoting with the thread icon do I go into advanced posting and still use wrap quotes before posting? Doing that it still won't include the name of the original poster as in the above posts. What am I doing wrong?
Go Advanced is not what you want. Click on so that it turns to for each post that you want to quote. If you mistakenly select a post then click again and it will be deselected (i.e. the icon changes back to ). When you have selected all the posts to be quoted just click and the message editing window should contain all selected posts wrapped in quote tags and you can enter your own content between/after them. Alternatively select all but the last post to be quoted and then for the last one click on that post and this will quote all previously selected posts as well as the current one. This is the way that I described how to do it in my original post.

Back