Mullingar for young family

niceoneted

Hi folks,
Looking at potential relocation to mullingar.
Other half has an option to use office there rather than Dublin city centre.
Kids in primary school currently for at least another 5 yrs.
need min 4 bed, with 2 reception rooms aside from kitchen / diner.would anyone who lives or knows the locality be able to give recommendations on suitable small estates and any to be avoided please.

We lived there for a long time before moving closer to home when kids arrived. Its a nice town with a lot of "ex-pats" living there - people who have moved there to be out of dublin or to be close to dublin. 45mins to the M50 roundabout by car, and great rail services to Dublin and Sligo.

Primary schools are choc a bloc though, and you might have difficutly getting into a town school, so may have to go to the outskirts.
Depending on your budget, the Ardmore Road and old Dublin road are priciest side of town - Ardmore Hills, Gleann Petit, etc.
Lakepoint is a nice estate, its big though, and has been seeing some anti social behaviour of late, but you'll get a nice 4/5 bed semi for c. 350k there.

The other side of town (the hospital side) tends to be cheaper house prices and the estates are v claustrophobic. Wouldnt be my preference.

But the people are lovely, and the town is great. If we had family closer we'd have stayed. Football clubs in the town are great also. Lomans and Shamrocks have great underage set ups - I'd be biased to Lomans!

Hope this helps, good luck with your move.

I'm from Mullingar and would highly recommend it for families. There's plenty of amenities, good schools and sports clubs. They are all pretty busy, so make enquiries. The schools outside town can sometimes be better and a lot from town would send their kids out.

As above, I would stick around the Dublin Road side of town for housing. Glenmore Wood (newer houses are A rated), Glean Petit, Petitswood Manor (some issues with sound proofing, so check before buying).
The prices are really rising since the pandemic, but I think it's worth getting something on the right side of town, particularly if you want good access to the motorway. The traffic in the town can be a total pain at times.
I would avoid the cheaper estates.

The town has some great bars and the music scene is incredible for its size.
There's a lack of high quality restaurants, but this is changing all the time.
Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Back