Mrs Robinson

Peter Robinson stated during the interview that he has forgiven his wife and that God has forgiven her also. (How does he know that? Is Peter Robinson God himself?) So, that's all right then.

When she made her homophobic remark he was asked to comment on it and he said that what she said was correct because that's what the Almighty believed. Obviously has a direct path to the Almighty I guess.

And if Iris had succeeded in her suicide attempt (was there really ever one?) then I don't think too many people would have shed a tear for her.

A bit harsh...

She may genuinely have a mental illness, we don't know at this stage.

I have a sibling who is convinced she was off her game.

I don't believe that a 60 year old suddenly has an affair after 40 years. Some people do, some people don't but you don't after 40 years of marriage suddently do something odd like that. More likely he was not the first.

When she made her homophobic remark he was asked to comment on it and he said that what she said was correct because that's what the Almighty believed. Obviously has a direct path to the Almights I guess.

No, they are just quoting the Good Book.

I wouldn`t blame the young man or say he was doing it for the money.19year old men are on turbo hormones and are very horny...presumably his lust took over.
As for Mrs Robinson..no doubt she was brought up with very strong moral and religious views.However when natures hormones rise to the surface as eventually they must, then people forget their moral compass fairly fast.
When I first heard the story,I thought about Gerry Adam s abusive father and wondered why all these skeletons are coming out now.

While I agree 19 year old males are on turbo hormones, and while she looks very well there is no way a 19 year old will sleep with a 60 year old female unless it's more than sex. And while I don't think sex dies at 60, a 60 year old female is not on turbo hormones at that age. I'll know myself in a few years.:(

Ann Bancroft 40's to Dustin Hoffmans's 19 I can see. Not 60's to teens.

As an aside if it was Peter Robinson 60 to 19 year old girl there would be b....y murder.

I note Mrs. Robinson was close to the young man's father.

I don't find it disgusting they slept together, each to their own, I do however find it odd.

Someone asked if the programme will be repeated, it's on BBC News Channel at 2.30 today.

Just wondering what would God think is a greater abomination: homosexuality or adultery and corruption (not to forget bigotry etc)?

According to [broken link removed] "Later that summer Iris went onto radio and declared homosexuality to be an abomination. What a hypocrite! The same chapter in Leviticus also condemns adultery int he same absolute terms."

Nobody is that horny!! She is 40 years older, old enough to be his grandmother.

Dear oh dear; How refreshing to come on such innocence in this cynical world. I remember the following passage being cited by my old Enlish teacher as an example of the naivete of Hamlet. How little the fundamentals change:

You cannot call it love; for at your age
The hey-day in the blood is tame, it's humble,
And waits upon the judgment: and what judgment
Would step from this to this?

Don't see the big disgust/age thing. It's not like the woman is visually repulsive. I'm sure there's a kink factor in the age difference that works both ways.

If I was single and that age and had an opportunity like that I'd certainly take it - wouldn't think twice. She's not ravishing but there is something vampish about her I have to say.

No such thing as bad sex anyway. :)

As long as she didn't speak though...

Don't see the big disgust/age thing. It's not like the woman is visually repulsive. I'm sure there's a kink factor in the age difference that works both ways.

If I was single and that age and had an opportunity like that I'd certainly take it - wouldn't think twice. She's not ravishing but there is something vampish about her I have to say.

No such thing as bad sex anyway. :)

As long as she didn't speak though...

Caveat, as a woman I can't imagine a relationship with a man this young - and I'm far from being her age - it's about maturity and ability to connect on a certain level which this age difference almost certainly doesn't guarantee. This could have been a win-win situation in terms of "he's giving me some physical satisfaction, she's providing her influence and connections", yet, when thinking about her attitude to homosexuality and then the very relaxed attitude to adultery, it's a simple and sheer hypocrisy.

Caveat, as a woman I can't imagine a relationship with a man this young - and I'm far from being her age - it's about maturity and ability to connect on a certain level...

Of course - I completely agree but I was under the assumption that this was a fling or something - all about the sex anyway.

I didn't for a second consider that it resembled a 'relationship' or anything like it - is that how it is being portrayed? I haven't looked too closely at the story.

According to [broken link removed] "Later that summer Iris went onto radio and declared homosexuality to be an abomination. What a hypocrite! The same chapter in Leviticus also condemns adultery int he same absolute terms."

My recollection of that fine chapter of Leviticus is that it calls for adulterers to be stoned. I'm sure Iris understands her good Lord wants that followed to the letter, but I won't be as hasty as that yet.

Apart from the bizarre story line emerging here, the depth of hypocrisy underpinning this actually just follows a long line of people who have publicly spewed their religious-based righteousness and bigotry. As regards her nauseous homophobia it never ceases to amaze me that the right-wing church based homophobes (der Papa himself included) seem to see nothing wrong with throwing around a word such as abomination in relation to homosexuals just existing, yet don't see fit to use it in any other context. In fact none of them referred to the child abuse and cover-ups as an abomination, and I can scarcely think of a more apt word to describe what went on there.

Peter Robinson is surely gone now. Iris has fallen on the large sword she set up for herself when she stood up and announced that she can recommend to her gay constituents that they are an abomination and that they can tend to their 'problem' with psychiatric care. The irony is so rich that I can't wait for the next chapter on what seems to be an emerging story.

My recollection of that fine chapter of Leviticus is that it calls for adulterers to be stoned. I'm sure Iris understands her good Lord wants that followed to the letter, but I won't be as hasty as that yet.
I guess like a lot of other so-called extreme right-wing homophobic and xenophobic Christians (who iIME are anything but Christian in their beliefs and practices) the Robinsons seem to have forgotten the key message of Leviticus - "Love your neighbour as you love yourself" (Lev 19.18), which This post will be deleted if not edited immediately called the second great commandment?

Have the Robinsons also lost sight of the fact that Leviticus also contains regulations for religious ceremonies and worship for Jews in ancient Israel? I wonder were all of these regulations followed to the letter, including the chapters on the treatment of skin diseases and mildew, the purification of women after childbirth, animals and birds which cannot be eaten and the reciprocal valuation and compensation for people given into the service of the Lord and all of the laws of holiness and justice given in Chapter 19?

There is a God and its not either of the Robinsons.

Back