MP3 Players

P

PadraigL

I am looking for an MP3 player that is suitable to use running, can be used in the car and have a decent about of MB.
The one I picked is the Rio Cali 256MB (Sport) MP3 Player.
Anyone have one and what is it like.?

The thing I like about it is the expandable slot. So really you can have a couple of 128MB SD or even 256MB SD cards (as they are reasonable priced) for different music.
As well, 18 hrs continuous play with one AAA battery is good .

I have an armband case for my ipod that straps around the bicep and is handy for use when running. Maybe getting an Ipod, iRiver or Creative Nomad Jukebox and a similar kind of case might suit you

FWIW ..

I recall reading something about this topic on a running newsgroup. IIRC ipods are not suitable for using while running as they have moving parts, i.e. the disk drive. The motion of running could degrade the performance of the unit.
If this is correct, you'd be best getting something a memory card - 256 Mb should suffice unless you're doing significant duration.

I have a Creative MUVO 256TX FM (like the one in the second previous answer but this has a built-in FM receiver. It's great as it gives you the option of switching from MP3 tunes to radio. It came with an armband and holder but check carefully as I purchased this in the U.S. and Creative has a nasty habit of including some accessories for some markets and not for others. It is also lightweight! Ideal for running!

Also. A 256M memory holds the equivalent of about 6 CDs - which is enough for a Dublin marathon or two if you're quick!!

Hansov
With a MP3 player with integrated FM radio, can you record an FM broadcast to MP3 (i.e. all on the one unit) ?
Thanks

> I recall reading something about this topic on a running newsgroup. IIRC ipods are not suitable for using while running as they have moving parts, i.e. the disk drive. The motion of running could degrade the performance of the unit.

Yeah - most or all hard disk based MP3 players are not suitable for vigorous exercise as they can get damaged through vibration/impact. Generally they are OK for brisk walking but not running etc. There may be "ruggedised" versions out there but I don't know of any offhand. A flash memory based player would be more suitable for high impact use (no moving parts to get damaged) although the capacity will be a lot less than most hard disk based players. Horses for courses...

You can record the radio as well as use the voice recorder. I just used this function once. However I don't know how much room a FM radio/voice recording takes up! I fill the memory with tunes! A good all-round light piece of technology tho. BTW I got mine in a Walmart in the U.S. for the equivalent of about 80 euros (much cheaper than in electrical/electronic retail stores). So if you know of somebody going stateside put one of these on their shopping lists!! Regards.

Back