Moving work from office to home

Gordanus

I'm a sole trader. I've had a huge switch-around in work. Previously all work would have been in person, and I have an office in town that I worked in. But since lockdown in March, everything has moved online, and it's been quite a success.

So I'm asking myself why am I paying rent on an office that I no longer use - why don't I stay as I am, working from home, forever? Seeing it's working really well and most people find it more convenient.

But of course my home isn't set up as a workplace so I've been using a spare room. Except that others would like to use it too.

So if I were to convert the attic into a dedicated workspace.... would that be tax-deductible? It'd keep me away from inadvertent interruptions, and give the family back the spare room, and I'd be happy to have a proper office again. Anyone know?

I was interested in this myself (not the attic conversion but a 'Shomera' type thing.)
came across this which might be a start:

That link is specific to the situation of a Ltd Company. The OP is a sole trader, so not all of the advice in that article is applicable to them. In particular, the bit about it not affecting one's CGT exemption for a PPR.

The daily tax free allowance only applies if you are paid it by your employer. Not sure how that would work out being a sole trader.
Your employer can give you €3.20 per day as an allowance which is tax free.

If your employer does not pay a daily allowance you can claim a tiny amount back through your tax.
e.g If your heating/electricity bills come to 2k per year you can claim an allowance of 10% of this which is taxed so it's only worth you about 100 euro per year if on the higher tax bracket.

Allowable utility bills x No. of e-working days / 365 days

so somebody in revenue has calculated that it can cost an additional €3.20 per day to work from home if your employer gives you an allowance but that it only costs you about 0.40 cent a day if you don't get a subsidy from your employer. It's even lower if you are on the lower tax bracket.

I think this is an unfair treatment on those who do not get subsidized by their employer for the additional heat, electricity and wear and tear on your home.

Last edited:
Back