Moving to uk

Babby

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can offer advice

Myself husband and child are moving to uk ( London) later this year (July)

Just wondering if we are entitled to 12 months tax credits for the year? Ie will we be entitled to a tax refund at the end of the year

Would we just get 6 months tax credits in uk for the year if we have been working here?

Is there any benefit to making voluntary prsi contributions when we are away ?

The cheapest way to transfer money from Ireland to uk. - we will probably try to transfer our savings to sterling ( 15-20k)

Is there any benefit to setting up a sterling bank account with aib / boi before we go to lodge this Money into

The cheapest way to move boxes etc to the uk? We don't have too much stuff, just childs cot etc

How do we sort out children's allowance etc when we move.

We will be moving in July with no definite plan to return, but may come back in 5 years or depending on jobs etc

Anything else we need to consider from tax affairs / pension in The future etc.

Thanks

Hi Babby,
I can only answer a few of your questions, but
  • CurrencyFair are good for transferring money internationally, but you'd need to have your sterling account already set up.
  • Shiply are good for moving stuff - you specify what you want to move, where from, where to and couriers bid on it. We used it to move from the UK back to Ireland.
  • Child Benefit - here's how to claim it, but from memory, one parent would have to get a National Insurance Number first, which can take some weeks, so if you haven't already got one, start applying for that ASAP.
  • Not sure having an Irish sterling account would be especially useful to you - you can open a sterling account with any UK bank easily once you have proof of address, etc. over there.
Other things to consider:
  • If you're coming back you might see about maintaining some level of health insurance cover here while you are away, so that you don't have to serve waiting periods on your return. See if your insurer offers this.
  • Are you aware of the council & water tax rates in the area you are moving to? They can be a nasty shock to a budget.
  • Get registered with a doctor and dentist ASAP after you arrive. It can be difficult to find the latter, especially, who will accept new NHS patients and the paperwork for becoming a patient can take a few weeks.

In terms of moving stuff, go down to Eason's and see if they have an Irish Post newspaper, usually plenty of ads for removal companies going between UK & I

Babby, .
1. State Pension & Prsi from ROI.
Rules have changed a bit ,so suggest try this,

If you have 10 years + on prsi you will qualify for ROI part state pension even if you stay in Uk. Qoute your prsi number and write to social welfare in Buncrana and ask for print out of your current contributions, you will then know the situation.
If you can ,and I think you can , it should make very good sense to get over the 10 year contribution threshold.
Every year above 10 inreases ROI contributory state pension.
2.State Pension under Uk National Insurance, again try to get to 10 years + ,ie even if you come back home in 5 years see can you (buy) UK contributions.
3. Private Pensions you already hold . Make sure you keep details and advise company of new address.

Wish you & yours well.

Have a look through here for some more useful information, [broken link removed]

Also if you want your child to go to a catholic school put his/her name down for a school place immediately, places are literally like gold dust particularly in London.

Thanks so much for the advice.

I have requested data of our PRSI contributions - we must have over ten years each at this stage.

I should have mentioned we are public sector workers so have no private pensions but this may be something we have to look into in the UK.

Back