Moving to UK - Tax, Pension & shareholding implications!

B

BizeB

I'm moving to the UK to start a new job next month & am confused about most things!

1. I've been paying PAYE & PRSI to date based on my income for the whole year. Now that i'll only earn 3/4 of expected, i will be due a refund. Have looked at the revenue web-site & claiming tax back seems straightforward enough, once you find & fill out the relevant forms.

My query is - When i move to UK & only work for 1/4 year (or 3/4 -they've a funny tax year) there, expect i'll pay less tax as will also be part of year. Do i have to declare what i earn in UK in Ireland or will the RC's talk & hit me later on with a big bill - I'd rather not get it than believe i've a nest egg & have to pay back a big lump sum!

2. Whats the cheapest, minimum commission way to move my €'s to UK? Partner has a HSBC UK bank a/c, i'm sure i could get the IBAN no. for it, is that the way to go?
Somebody told me putting big positive balance on my credit card was also a good way as the buy/sell difference was quite good & could withdraw as cash or lodge to acc when i get over there.

3. On the pensions side, have been member of for >2 yrs & own contribs would be < €10k. Presume I can't transfer it to UK or PRSA? Don't need it immediately so if i stay away for >3 yrs, will i still pay tax if i cash it in?

4. From info on this site, my SSIA should be ok as will be "ordinarily resident" when it matures. Was this ever officially confirmed as ok?

5. I also own shares, held by online broker/crest, one of which is in GBP. I want to hold on to them - Can i just keep my online account & use UK address or use the mammys address for correspondance?
Could transfer to paper certs & cart across with me but believe there are fees involved in that.

All clarifications appreciated,
Thanks,
BizeB

Back