Moving to the public service (local authority).

C

Chi-Squared

Does anyone have any advice on working in the public service (local authority)?

My previous job (outside the public service) was made redundant and I have been successful in getting a similar job with a local authority.

In particular Im interested in hearing from people working in local authorities.

Thanks,

Chi

You might need to be a bit more specific with your questions to get useful responses.

Local authorities have very broad remits, including planning, libraries/arts, housing, motor tax, electoral register, parks etc. THey are pretty good at covering training costs and offering development opportunities.

What kind of role are you going into?

You would earn more in the private sector but work conditions in the public sector are very good i.e. flexitime,developement opportunities

Just beware that not all sections have the perks like flexi, etc. I joined the public sector last year thinking that and I left a better paid job for what I thought would be better conditions. I was wrong because my conditions now are actually much less flexible and less promising. All depends on exactly where you end up and generally you have little choice in chosing that. Best of luck anyway!

You would earn more in the private sector but work conditions in the public sector are very good i.e. flexitime,developement opportunities

I am working in a local authority with no flexi-time. Development opportunities are non existant. People with degees and post-grads in specific areas are not working in those areas.

Worse, is that transfer requests can take years. Hopefully things will improve with PMDS.

I joined the public sector last year thinking that and I left a better paid job for what I thought would be better conditions. I was wrong because my conditions now are actually much less flexible and less promising.

I would agree.

You can take career breaks for up to 5 years. This is a bonus big time.

You cannot work within the country with a career break.

I think you can take a sabbatical but all requests for info on this have been ignored.

Does anybody know about taking sabbaticals from local authorities?

Hi everyone,
i am an engineer in a local authority. i am looking to take a career break, hopefully in the next few months. i am project managing the build of a house. i spoke to a clerical officer today, who informed me that there probably would be no problem, but could not guarantee me getting the job when 6mts are complete!! any advice

Back