Moving to Ireland - any issues with keeping my UK bank account and credit card?

Michael Heary

I'm moving over to Ireland shortly and am thinking about keeping a sterling bank account and credit card.

I have a sterling widower's pension which is currently paid into my Halifax account. I also have a Halifax credit card which has the advantage of not having extra fees and charges for withdrawing money outside the UK, so when I travel outside the Eurozone (say Sweden) I can withdraw cash and make purchases without incurring the extra charges that my Irish bank makes for use there.

Are there any issues with maintaining a UK bank account, and a credit card in particular? I know there is an annual stamp duty to pay on an Irish credit card but I assume a UK card is exempt.

Thanks

No issue there what so ever. I have both Halifax uk bank account and UK halifax credit card. In fact I applied for uk credit card after I moved to ireland and got it from Halifax without any problem. Mighty credit card it is too

Thanks, good to hear there's no issue at the Irish end.

I checked with the Halifax branch today so knew there was no problems at their end. Though they did say they wouldn't open a new account for an Irish resident, I would be able to keep my existing accounts

Michael,

You're very fortunate.

We regularly advise new clients who have already left the UK and it's too late to take out a Halifax credit card which is one of the best available for international travel.

I've certainly made good use of the Halifax Clarity Credit Card for some years now The international aspect is the main reason I got it in the first place.

From experience your credit card should be subject to stamp duty if registered to an Irish address. However I don't know if Halifax applies this. I previously had a UK Tesco credit card from living over there which I cancelled once I started getting billed for the stamp duty.

Thanks for that. Will have to wait and see