Moving to Ireland - any issues with keeping my UK bank account and credit card?

Michael Heary

I'm moving over to Ireland shortly and am thinking about keeping a sterling bank account and credit card.

I have a sterling widower's pension which is currently paid into my Halifax account. I also have a Halifax credit card which has the advantage of not having extra fees and charges for withdrawing money outside the UK, so when I travel outside the Eurozone (say Sweden) I can withdraw cash and make purchases without incurring the extra charges that my Irish bank makes for use there.

Are there any issues with maintaining a UK bank account, and a credit card in particular? I know there is an annual stamp duty to pay on an Irish credit card but I assume a UK card is exempt.

Thanks

No issue there what so ever. I have both Halifax uk bank account and UK halifax credit card. In fact I applied for uk credit card after I moved to ireland and got it from Halifax without any problem. Mighty credit card it is too :)

Thanks, good to hear there's no issue at the Irish end.

I checked with the Halifax branch today so knew there was no problems at their end. Though they did say they wouldn't open a new account for an Irish resident, I would be able to keep my existing accounts

Michael,

You're very fortunate.

We regularly advise new clients who have already left the UK and it's too late to take out a Halifax credit card which is one of the best available for international travel.

I've certainly made good use of the Halifax Clarity Credit Card for some years now :) The international aspect is the main reason I got it in the first place.

From experience your credit card should be subject to stamp duty if registered to an Irish address. However I don't know if Halifax applies this. I previously had a UK Tesco credit card from living over there which I cancelled once I started getting billed for the stamp duty.

From experience your credit card should be subject to stamp duty if registered to an Irish address. However I don't know if Halifax applies this. I previously had a UK Tesco credit card from living over there which I cancelled once I started getting billed for the stamp duty.

Thanks for that. Will have to wait and see

Back