Moving to Dublin 15 (Maybe?)

Airtight

My wife and I are considering moving to Dublin. We are not sure where we want to live in the Dublin 15 area.

What are the better places in that part of Dublin to live (when all things are considered)?

We will be renting (for now) and have two children (not of school going age yet)

There are some really nice areas and some less nice areas of D15.

In my opinion (no offence to anyone) the best area is Castleknock. The schools (primary & secondary) are excellent and the train makes it very easy to get into the city centre.

If your kids are young St Brigids or Scoil Thomais are good schools to be in the catchment area for.

Castleknock can be very expensive but there are some estates in Laurel Lodge or in Carpenterstown which are very family friendly and beside Castleknock or Coolmine train station.

Good luck!

€1,400 pcm seems to be the advertised going rate for a 3 bed.

CastleKnock seems to be a lovely place, what would it be like socially, is it easy to mix with the local (Clubs & that sort of stuff)?

There are fantastic clubs in Castleknock and very easy to get involved.
Don't think you would need to pay that much in rent tbh.
You should take a look around the area and visit some of the houses to get a feel for it.

Best of luck.

I agree with Castleknock. More expensive yes, but then you get what you pay for imo. Riverwood and Luttrellstown are just above Laurel Lodge/Carpenterstown, again very near the train station, and not beyond reach price-wise. There is a new primary school, St. Patricks which serves the area too. Castleknock GAA club & Castleknock Celtic operate locally. Don't know the soccer club personally, but the GAA club is well run & welcoming with plenty of nice/friendly families. Good luck :)

Hello,

Coolmine / Roselawn is also a nice place ! It would be much cheaper than Castleknock to live in and I dont ever hear of much trouble in that area....

Yes, Delwood, Roselawn & Coolmine are older areas but nice houses and nice quiet areas too. Also close to the train station and the other side.

The problem with the school places is probably not as bad as it was due on the number of eastern europeans returning home.

I agree. Major pb with school places for Riverwood and Luttrellstown as over subscribed at moment for St Patricks and kids travelling out of the area. Dont think the problem will be solved overnight. There is alot of rental in the area and houses sometimes bigger so may get good deal. Some of the houses (not all) can also be a good walk from the train station. It depends on what you need.

In Laurel Lodge, Sycamore and Oaktree the children generally go to Scoil Thomais which is a very good school. They are also within v short walking distance of train station. These are v good, family friendly areas but may have less rental.

In Delwood and Roselawn the children go to St Francis Xavier which also has a good name and short walk to train station. Traditionally this was Blanchardstown and the above Carpenterstown/Laurel Lodge but now most places are called Castleknock if within close proximity of train station.

Hope this helps.

Thats better than I expected: does that represent the advertised cost or is that after haggling?

Its more like 1100~1400 in Castleknock, depends on exactly where and what house. As there are small and large 3/4 bedroom houses. That said rents seem to have falen slightly lately, and I expect theres a good few places empty at the moment.

We are in Luttrellstown and are selling to move nearer my parents who are ill. Otherwise we'd stay here long term - we really like it here. In terms of location, castleknock village and its immediate surrounds are considered the best. I've lived in Castleknock for about 15 years. I've rented in all areas, laurel lodge, bramley, burnell, luttrellstown, etc. It's a very nice area. I've never had any problems here in all my time here, and personally I've preferred my current location of Luttrellstown. If you are buying and have school going kids, there were issues about some estates not being in the primary school catchment area so watch out for that. HAve a good look around if you like the look of an area or estate perhaps consider renting there before you buy so that you know what its like to live there before you buy. Best of luck

Back