Moving rural: experiences

No be a new area .
no family although no real family here either.
Kids 3 5 7 12 17
No interests keeping us here .
Have your kids got interests keeping them there?

I grew up in an estate and there were loads of kids out playing all the time. All you had to do it walk out the door and you'd join in a game of football. I live in Kilternan now (rural for Dublin ;)) and my kids don't have any friends in the area and it's lifts all the time to their mates. If you are moving 50km away, you are effectively telling your kids that they will have to make new friends. The younger ones will be fine but what about the 12 & 17 year old?

My tuppence worth. We bought a holiday home that needed some renovation in the sticks many years ago and have sold it since.* But, when we used to use it we were much aware that we were pretty isolated if something was to happen. Mrs Lep didn't fancy being left alone there off season. I'm talking real isolation here, don't want to alarm anybody, but prepare you for what may be ahead. It was so isolated that once we lost our way while driving to it.

*Isolation was not the reason we sold it later. It was a large site (acre+) and maintenance, cutting grass etc was a problem for me.

clannishness is a big consideration , you will be the source of intrigue for about three months after you move and then be invisible to the same people who were so intrigued , does not apply to all of course but to a lot
This is completely true. Initially it seems like people are friendly and interested, which abruptly ends when they find out enough about you

Huge houses - the locals basically all built 150sqm mansions in the boom years and you can still buy one cheaper than build cost. If you like a lot of space this is for you
That’s a positively small size of house in rural Ireland
During the last bubble-and the current one-230 to 280sqm is commonplace.

This is completely true. Initially it seems like people are friendly and interested, which abruptly ends when they find out enough about you

the process of fact collecting about blow ins will eventually run its course , its best not to mistake it for genuine friendliness

Many thanks for all the responses I have a lot to ponder over . Renting for a bit seems a logical idea . My wife does not want to even consider it as an option. I will likely be staying put for the foreseeable

When you say “rural” are you talking about a rural town or a one off house in the countryside. I take it to mean the latter.

I left Dublin in 2012 and lived in the sticks ‘til 2018. Now living in Cork City.

There are many many considerations. Here are five that spring to mind.

Driving
The main one is driving. Lots of driving. Need milk? Into the car. Nowadays I walk to the shop with a backpack, bringing the dog with me.

Connectivity
My broadband is about 15 meg now, was 1.5 meg. A rural living friend has 0.5 meg.
I’d no mobile reception in my house. I’d have to go out on the road to get a bar or two of 3G. Fortunately I’d been made aware of Vodafone’s SureSignal (I think it was called), something I’d never heard of before or since. It plugged into the WiFi router and provided 5-bar 3G signal to registered Vodafone numbers.
It used to drop out about once a week, requiring reset, which would complete in less than an hour.

Social Life
Expensive. No such thing as a casual cheap night out with cinema, pizza and a glass of wine. Anytime you’re paying for a taxi the cheapness is gone. Every night out is a costly one. And if you’re going out on a weekend you’ll probably have to book a taxi. Where I lived there were two taxis. A Saturday night drive home would have to be booked that morning.

Kids Activities
Drive them to local GAA or drive them further to larger town for soccer/rugby/etc or drive them further again for swimming.

Lockdown
So often I think we’re so lucky to live in a city during the pandemic...

I wouldn’t say I regret having lived in the sticks. It’s a completely different lifestyle.
I could live just about anywhere. But you live a different life.
Excuse me if I get this wrong, as I'm an immigrant to Ireland, but doesn't Cork City count as 'the sticks'?

Wouldn't worry too much about that sort of individual. There's good people everywhere and you'll find nice people "almost" everywhere. If you're a gossip you'll fit in until the next one comes along , if you're not it might take a bit longer but you'll be sound. If you're the sporty type all you need to do is use your eyes, grumpy can be ok too but beware the "wans" who'll fill you in on everything and "everywan" and love calling round for a "ganther" and the chat. Fall for them and you're lost for life but you'll never pay the full price for anything. Choices, choices, choices?????????? :)

Wouldn't worry too much about that sort of individual. There's good people everywhere and you'll find nice people "almost" everywhere. If you're a gossip you'll fit in until the next one comes along , if you're not it might take a bit longer but you'll be sound. If you're the sporty type all you need to do is use your eyes, grumpy can be ok too
It's not "individuals" - it's the rule rather than the exception with the occasional sincere person, usually not from the area. If it's not a destination town/area then group think, cliquishness and social/economic advantage-seeking alliance-making is the norm.

Life can be claustrophobic, parochial and stultifying.

I'm speaking from experience.

Not sure what the rest of your post means

but beware the "wans" who'll fill you in on everything and "everywan" and love calling round for a "ganther" and the chat. Fall for them and you're lost for life but you'll never pay the full price for anything. Choices, choices, choices??????????

Last edited:
Back