Moving oil tank (but its full)

timoney

HELP.I Need to move a full oil tank as people we bought house off filled the tank before moving out as a nice gift, and after gutting the place and re plumbing everything I had planned to get a local oil company to pump out oil , move tank and re fill but the new lorrys they use cant do this. Is their a pump i could rent or buy to allow me to pump into another tank so i can then move the existing and re fill it or would syophoning work. Thanks in advance

Hi

Yes there is a pump, dont know where you could get it, I got the loan of mine from the oil delivery company, it worked on 230 volts ac, ( household mains), and with some barells you may be able to take some fuel. You could ask a major tool hire company as they may have one.

If you are collecting the pump in the car, get some plastic to line the boot with because there is bound to be some drips of oil which is messy, and smelly

Is there any way you could rig it up to work untill the oil is empty then move the tank?

Easy enough to pump out the oil, the problem is that you will need to buy or rent a second tank to store the oil in the intermediate position.
A 12 volt pump, maybe a water pump for a garden, worth a try, off a decent battery or mains adapter may do the job.
If hte existing tank is anyway old you could use this opportunity to replace it.

Could you not leave it where it is until you use the oil and then move it when it's (nearly) empty?

Moving/resiting oil tanks yourself is a foolish idea, get a qualified Oftec registered installer to do it for you.

If you do this incorrectly (and I bet 99.99% you will as you do not know the regs that govern it) and in the future your tank sheds it load (happens so much more often than you think!) you insurance company will not cover you, and the cost of the cleanup usually runs between €9000 - €15000 for removal of the surrounding soil as toxic waste, and thats about the best case, if there is open water source and it goes in there, you could be facing huge costs........it's not worth it

Considerations, are location, fire rating, support, foundations, and much more..........

I've moved mine a few years back. Got a few 200L drums and a garden hose and syphoned into the drums, moved the tank onto new concrete base, rolled the drums up onto a platform and again syphoned oil back in. If doing it again I'd certainly try a hire centre for a diesel transfer pump [broken link removed] or try the oil companies.

Back