Moving Off Carers Allowance

car29

Hi,

Hope I can some advice here, there might be a possibility my wife will be taken off the carers allowance due to our circumstances changing, my wife looks after our Autistic son we recently moved to the country to mainly benefit our son but we are currently renting out our previous home as selling was not a option in the current climate, I also changed jobs recently and my salary increased which would lead to a reduced a carers payment, when combing the two changes we may lose the carers allowance. My question is what happens in relation to my wife's position my son will still need full time care is there another welfare benefit she can move to? can she use her credits? if anyone has any advice it would be very much appreciated

Thanks
Brian

Hi Brian,
Are you claiming Domicilliary Care Allowance?
I think that is all you'd be enititled to if you're now failing the means test for Carer's Allowance.
If you get the DCA you are also entitled to the Respite Care Grant.

Many thanks for your reply, yes currently in reciept of both payments, just worried as it is a big drop in our income if we loose the main carers allowance , the rented house is only paying for itself we are not actually making a profit on it but I think they just go on the markert value, so it is not looking good for us.

It's not very clear in their rules how your former home would be assessed in a means test. Perhaps it would be worth giving them a call and asking how your change of circumstances would affect the payment if you decided to move house for the benefit of your son.

Would this move be temporary

Thansk for the reply, no this is a permanent move, it is not actuall rented out at the moment lying idle as we only moved a few weeks ago and we still have belongings there, I have read that they will not treat as means a property that is not actually making any income, so a bit of a grey area there, hopefully we will be ok.

Back