Moving money from North to South

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
U

Unregistered

My boyfriend and I recently bought a house in the South but he works in the North and is paid sterling into his Abbey National bank account. The mortgage repayments come from my AIB current account so each month he has been withdrawing cash from ATM in the North and I have to go into branch here to lodge into my account. This costs max. €6.35 in comission each month. We looked into various transfer options between banks but they all seem to take too long or are too expensive. Abbey National in particular are very unhelpful.

Can anyone shed any light on the best way to transfer this money every month? Both of us are willing to change banks if required but the few wnquiries we have made have come up with nothing (First Trust - AIBs sister bank in North - apparently have no connection with AIB in South).

Thanks

Unregistered said:
(First Trust - AIBs sister bank in North - apparently have no connection with AIB in South).

Thanks

thats completely wrong. i was at a first trust atm in the north last week and was able to see my aib balance in euros. i withdraw sterling fairly frequently and have not noticed any extra commission charges on my euro statements. the conversion rates also seem to be fairly fair.

When we went into First Trust bank and explained that we wanted to transfer funds they told us they had no connection with AIB in that regard.

I'm just looking for the easiest and cheapest way of moving this money. Don't ever want to have to stand in a queue in the bank if I can avoid it.

quickest way would be to withdraw euros via atm and then lodge the cash into your euro account.

from my statement
01-04-05 10 [email protected]

i dont know what the official rate was on that day but it was probably somewhere between .68 and .69 so 0.67 is not at all bad,.

Back