moving large sums abroad

jman0war

Sorta following on from jennymc's post.

I wonder what people may recommend insofar as moving larger sums abroad (non-eu).
Sums about 50 to 100k?

Bank to Bank transfers are now rather limited. When I last did that it was limted to 3k, and there was a 40€ transfer fee.
Since our banks imploded, this has gotten more restrictive, and incurred a higher fee, not sure the exact figure.

WesternUnion will do transactions up to 5k, and charge 80€.

So, with a view to holding onto as much money as possible, what are the best ways to do this?
Bank Cheque and manually lodge it at destination and wait for the cheque to clear?
Travel with that much cash? (scary)
Are there such things as Travellers Cheques anymore?

Please note i have no debts here. I am not trying to hide anything from any bank. I want to minimize banks from helping themsevles to my savings.

Try transfermate website as they are cheaper than banks and I believe there is no problem sending large amount. However for first time users you need to send them some identification by email/post for the purpose of anti money laundering.

Travel with that much cash? (scary)
Generally you can travel with up to €10,000 in cash without declaring it. Even then, if you are carrying more than €6,348.69, customs have the right to sieze the cash.

If you have more than €10,000 you have to declare it - see cash controls [broken link removed].

Back