Moving in - 1 person - do you have to sign up to a black/green bin contract?

podgerodge

A sibling has moved into a house, and will not be generating much household waste at all (would intend to put any rubbish in our mothers bin) - do you have to sign up to a black/green bin contract? I see a lot about mandatory brown bins coming in, but nothing about what happens if you don't sign up for any bin at all? Thanks.

You don't have to sign up to have your bins collected. There's plenty of people who don't. I know a few who do all their recycling themselves since a charge was introduced for the green bin.

Dublin City Council was sanctioned by the Data Protection Commissioner by proposing to breaching GDPR. I reported them. You won't hear any more
on this front. It was a bluff.

Best I can offer is that Data Protection Commissioner's Office accepted my complaint and prepared a report. I talked to Data Protection Officer in
Dublin City Council who took my complaint and liaised with Data Protection Commissioner. Dublin City Council's strategy, proposed in that article was suspended - hence no further developments. Dublin City Council outsourced bin collection to private companies but they proposed (in article) to find out from these private companies the database of people who didn't have any bins. The suggestion (in article) was that such people were fly-tipping or dumping their waste. All contrary to GDPR. It a dead letter - Dublin City Council learned their lesson the hard way.

Apologies 'sanctioned' is the wrong word. Dublin City Council was never fined because they never acted on their plan to use 3rd party database contrary to GDPR.
As I said it was a bluff and it was quietly dropped. But it reflected badly on the individual mentioned in Brian Hutton's article.

Dublin City Council will not be finding out who has no bins - not by this means anyway. To suggest such people are likely illegal dumpers
was outrageous.

Dublin City Council will not be finding out who has no bins

I believe the plan now is to ask suspected households to provide proof they are disposing of their waste legally. Of course this is going to cost them significantly more to manage and means money that could be going to supporting those most in need will be spent chasing those few who are dumping irresponsibly or illegally. In April they had to allocate an extra M€1 to fund illegal waste removal and surveillance operations to detect dumping on top of that already allocated.

Back to square one. How does Dublin City Council find 'suspected households' - they've given away their database.
GDPR prevents them from getting that information back. Unintended consequences. What law requires me to prove I'm not doing something wrong - innocent until proven guilty. I'm totally for recycling and totally against illegal dumping. Bear in mind some have difficulty paying these ever increasing charges. Maybe councils should take back responsibility for domestic waste.

2.1. Obligation to Participate in a Waste Collection Service
“(a) Subject to paragraph (b), household kerbside waste that arises from the premises where
such waste is produced shall not be presented to any person other than to an authorised
waste collector.
(b) Paragraph (a) does not apply where such waste:
(i) is deposited in an appropriate waste container provided under a contract by
An authorised waste collector to another person for the management of that waste
and
where that other person has consented to the receipt of that waste, or
(ii) is delivered directly by the holder to an authorised waste facility.
(c) Documentary evidence, such as receipts, statements or other proof of payment,
demonstrating compliance with this bye-law shall be presented to an authorised person within
a time specified in a written request from either that person or from another authorised person
employed by South Dublin County Council.

As Leo refers to, I had found the above - so another member of the family is willing to take the small amount of refuse in this case.

Before I moved I was taking all my refuse to a council recycling centre, there is much more scope for separating item than 3 bins at your house.
Because there is no recycling centre near me now, I now have to pay a refuse company who cannot take certain things. I also cannot produce receipt because it is deducted by DD

Back