Moving house-Cost of removal companies?

Sunster

HI
We are a young couple moving from one part of Dublin to another. Does anyone have a rough estimate as to how much it costs to have removal people move average contents of a 2 bed house? Basic stuff- 2 beds, set of table and chairs, 3-4 draws, clothes, electrical appliances, cooking utensils?
Anyone done this recently?
Thanks

I recently moved my furniture back from england by myself.I had friends help me load it and my boyfriend yo help me unload on the irish side.
I hired a van (Ford Luton) the biggest you can drive on a driving license.
Some companies were charging me up to 1,500 sterling.
I hired the van for about 170 for 3 days over a weekend.So I saved a small fortune.
So if your moving from one side of dublin to the other hire it for 2 days and you can make as many trips as you need.

Hope this has been of some help.

We moved ourselves also. 3 bed semi d - distance only a couple of miles. We hired a big truck with driver for about €200 - which I think was a reduced rate due to contact. Also hired van ourselves for €115 from Hertz. All done in one trip with a couple of car loads. get a few friends to help out and thank them by way of pizza and beers.

Allens cost us approx €700. Best money i ever spent they will have you moved in a day. Just left them to it and your goods are insured as well.

Allens cost us about €1000, including packing everything when we moved from Dublin to Kildare. As previous poster said, best money we ever spent. Moving was stressful enough. Everthing was packed very carefully - including any open food products.

We are moving from Arklow (Co. Wicklow) to Gormanston (Co. Meath) using Allen Removals and its costing 1,300 euro. We were expecting quotation to be more and i hope it all goes smoothly.... moving friday week!!!

A friend of mine runs a company, www.mkremovals.com/ not sure how competitive they are, for small/medium houses you should rent a van/truck and get a few friends to help(give them beers and pizza for helping and make an evening outta it)

Thanks for your advice everyone. My only problem may be trying to get the time off work to pack, and move nevermind all the sweat and tears associated.
1000 euro seems the ball park figure here. I'd say ours might be cheaper as we hope to get rid of some furniture

We just took the day before we moved off work. Every evening for the previous couple of weeks we spent some time packing. Starting with the non-essential items e.g. all winter clothes can be packed now, christmas decorations, stuff in attic. A bit of planning and you'll be surprised how easy it is. If it's just the two of you it really isn't a major deal. Have you decluttered in advance e.g. when preparing house for sale. Make sure to label every box with list of contents and the room in new house it goes into. Some boxes won't need to be opened for months!

Just a quick question in relation to this. We will be moving in a couple of months. Ours is a duplex 3 bed apartment. What I'm wondering is, does anyone know before we get quotes / decide whether to do it ourselves (don't want to do this), would it be more expensive because we have alot of steps up to our place, i.e. alot of trips up and down the steps for them? Might be a stupid question but just wondering...

IMD,

Our previous house was a 3-storey and as I said previously our removal cost was about €1000.

Myself and beloved recently moved, spent about three weekends prior the move preparing i.e. packing everything we wouldn't need in the short term and junking as much stuff as we could. We donated piles of clothes to charities and threw out lots of things had had no value. Its amazing how it all pile up over a few years. As we were renting we didn't have much furniture, so we did it with two Transit van loads and three car loads, back and forth.
I've used Allen in my work place and found them to be excellent but if you've not got that much stuff, and its packed carefully, a "man with a van" is a very cost effective way to move house.
I know a guy on the southside who is good and offers good value if anyone is intrested.

Back