Moving from BOI to Permanent TSB

whiplash

I'm thinking of moving my current account from BOI to TSB as they don't charge on the following:

No Lodging Fees
No Withdrawal Fees
No Laser Fees
No Standing Order Fees
No Direct Debit Fees
No Quarterly Fees
No Overdraft Fees

Has anybody took this step and is it worth the hassle of switching?? I'm fed up paying for taking money out from ATMs and for Overdraft services.

Cheers,
Whiplash

If you're fed up paying the money, then it should be worth your while switching.

You may want to compare the ptsb offering with what Ulster Bank and [broken link removed] have to offer.

I think that BoI now offer [broken link removed] if you have more than €500 in your account (and a whole other raft of ts and cs) if that's any use to you, but it doesn't look as 'good' as what's on offer elsewhere.

I think that one of the 'problems' with switching is that you may miss a direct debit during the changeover, but that's only an anecdotal observation on my part.

Personally I think you are mad to move to PTSB as they may offer "free banking", their Customer service leaves something to be desired. Their rigid cheque policy also is not good.

It is important to remember that 'free' may not mean 'good value' (as Bond has alluded to above).

I still pay fees as I am happy with the service I get from my bank (AIB) and they have never made a mistake (that I am aware of) with my account.

Note that I have now started a thread on the 'Best Value Current Account' in the 'Best Buys' forum (link in my sig).

I have moved to PTSB and I am very happy with the move.
I was very unhappy with the customer service at BoI, and I am delighted to
be paying no fees.
I dont know what the "rigid cheque policy" is, it have obviously never affected me.

"Rigid cheque policy" is all cheques salary, personally signed by bertie himself etc must wait 7 full days before clearing, absolutley no exceptions.

Thanks, I can see why this would be a big disadvantage if you needed
to cash cheques regularly.

Not true. I moved banks from AIB to PTSB. Just after I changed banks I also changed jobs where I am now getting paid by cheque. My branch put a note on my current account so show that my salary cheque can be cashed straight away as a salary credit. (Note: I did not know anyone personally in my branch).

Talk to your branch, they might do the same.

You must have a nice bank manager. :)

I found that this policy was enforced rigidly even with social welfare cheques (obviously no risk of bouncing). :(

I think there are good bank branches and bad bank branches. Better to get a recommendation about a specific branch. (Generally I've foun BOI are awful)

I regularly cash an expenses cheque from work through my PTSB account, and its always cashed on the spot, It does'nt have to go through clearing, Ive never experienced any difficulty and I dont always use the same branch.

Highly recommend the move. I am ex BOI staff and was a customer for nearly 20 years - totally ripped off on charges, terrible service. Went in to open a US $ account in BOI and told it was a very long process. Said OK, still want to open it. BOI staff member said "No, it;s a really long process (held his arms out at arms length to SHOW ME how long it would take). I still took the forms but decided to try PTSB as I was in the process of moving current account - girl filled out the form and opened account in 5 mins!!

Go for it!!

I also moved from BOI to PTSB a few months ago and have had no problems, love the fact that I am not paying any charges and I have had no problems with customer services & cheques clearing etc - I lodged a number of cheques from different banks before xmas & they were all cleared within a couple of days.

I am delighted to have moved from BOI to PTSB. When I first changed I ended up getting my salary paid once by cheque instead of by electronic transfer. In my local branch they said it can be cleared immediately as it was a salary credit. The cheque was not drawn from PTSB.

I find the staff more more helpful and in general more compentant than BOI.

My only gripe is I cannot withdraw cash abroad from my ATM card they only offer Cirrus on Laser. I need to top up my Visa first.

I moved to PTSB about 2yrs ago, happy with them. It might have changed but:
- you need a min bal of €1000 for free banking.
- there is a €5 euro direct debit setup charge (no recurring charge). If you're moving direct debits as well you might want to neogotiate that one.

Edit:
I've been able to use my ATM card abroad.

tiger said:
I've been able to use my ATM card abroad.

Do you have a combined laser/ATM card?

I didn't think you have to keep a EUR1,000 balance to avoid fees.
I move my excess cash into Rabo and just keep my "pocket money" in PTSB. Maybe I should leave EUR1,000.

It's no longer true that you need to keep a minimum balance to avoid charges with PTSB. Thier switcher account has no minimum balance and no charges.

tiger said:
Yes. Doesn't have any other markings/labels that I can see.

That settles my point so :)

I have just an ATM card which PTSB don't offer Cirrus on only on Laser which is why it is available on your combined card.

That's what I suspected about the switcher account minimum balance but needed to confirm.

Back