Moving Electricity Meter Outside

Valhalla

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone out there has moved or looked into the moving of their electricity meter from the inside of the house to the outside. My meter along with the new fuse board, alarm panel, heating controls etc.. are all in my hall and It would be much neater to at least get the meter outside just like the the gas meter was moved a while back.

Thanks.

I am currently renovating an old house and the meter box is inside - with the electricty coming in from the chimney - I contacted the ESB to get the meter box moved to the outside and bring the elec in underground - total cost for this including vat was €391. Have to pay the invoice and then send them the elctrician certs when he has done all his work inside...
Hope this helps

Yes. Its not a big job. However you will have to get a certified Electrician to certify the new installation work. The Esb Regs for a meter are very particular but your Electrician will know what is required.

yes, fairly easy to do and i thought required nowadasy. quite a bit of regulation in terms of exact height, location and access when outside the house.
you need to have your spark on hand to re-connect as when they leave the electricity will require an electrician to switch it on (10 min job apparently)

that reminds me still have to contact ESB again as have been chasing them. ESB Networks is the department who deal with it

Just from a practical point of view are you talking about moving it to a porch or sheltered area outside. Some of the houses in our estate have their meter box outside the protected porch area and the box is too exposed. Regularly see covers blown off the boxes.

it is in a special casing unit attached to front of house and requires a special key to open it which i presume esb meter readers have. it is pretty heavy duty so dont think it will blow off. it was installed as part of our re-wire of the house which needed the esb meter box moved
i think our elec and builder said at the time it was new standards that it had to be re-located outside the house so esb can read without gaining access to house

what exactly will the ESB do for 391 quid? I presume just take down the meter and move it, while we will have to chase out external wall and install meter box and get our electrician to do all internal work before signing off and ESB coming in?

Back