moving c/a to ptsb

club92

Am thinking of moving to ptsb's free c/a after getting another 'notification of fees' from my bank. Would you believe that when i transfer money to my wifes a/c they charge me for debiting it from my a/c and her for getting it credited to her a/c.
Anyway has anybody made the move and if so
1) How did the move go - any screw ups like missing mge repayment?
2) How is the quality of service since the move, ie does the online banking work ok and do they have a quicklodge in their branches?
thanks

These guys are great, as long as you dont mind waiting ages in a queue. I thought about switching from BofI, so I went to the local branch to get details, but the amount of time I spent in the q put me right off.

Yeah I switched last year without any major problems. Very minor issues with my wages from my job (which was mainly my fault, in fairness.) so they offered me an overdraft facility to cover me. Make sure you have enough money in your old account to cover any dd just in case they haven't been switched to your new ptsb account. Also I do all my banking online and over the telephone and I have found them to be excellent. I had switched from aib who I thought were pretty useless to be honest. After the switch I still had 100 euro in an aib savings account and I went to my local brach one day and they refused to give me the money as my main branch was elsewhere!! I got it in the end but I thought they provided a pretty bad service.

jake108 said:
Yeah I switched last year without any major problems. Very minor issues with my wages from my job (which was mainly my fault, in fairness.) so they offered me an overdraft facility to cover me. Make sure you have enough money in your old account to cover any dd just in case they haven't been switched to your new ptsb account. Also I do all my banking online and over the telephone and I have found them to be excellent. I had switched from aib who I thought were pretty useless to be honest. After the switch I still had 100 euro in an aib savings account and I went to my local brach one day and they refused to give me the money as my main branch was elsewhere!! I got it in the end but I thought they provided a pretty bad service.
At the risk of 10 people pointing me to another thread which I should be able but can't seem to find using the Search function, what is the PTSB Online banking like?
  • Can you view your PTSB credit card statement?
  • Can you add third party payments e.g. bills and irish bank accounts yourself, or do you need to ring up to authorise it?
  • Is it easy to use?

MonsieurBond said:
At the risk of 10 people pointing me to another thread which I should be able but can't seem to find using the Search function, what is the PTSB Online banking like?
Have you tried the !? :D
Can you view your PTSB credit card statement?
Yes.
Can you add third party payments e.g. bills and irish bank accounts yourself, or do you need to ring up to authorise it?
The latter and payments take c. 3 days to process. I have ESB, ntl:, Northern Rock Demand Online, PTSB VISA, and eircom (redundant)set up as bill payments.
Is it easy to use?
I fine it grand.

I moved from AIB to PTSB and it was a bit ropey to begin with - I wasn't paid as PTSB hadn't informed work that I had moved to them. However, you can notify your work yourself. As previously stated they will supply you with an overdraft facility. I also never got my card and had to wait for them to issue a new card which took a week too. Luckily I was doing exams and was studying and not spending so it didn't matter too much. But in saying that, my DD's were looked after and there was no messing.

Three months later, it is working out fine, they are efficient to deal with on the phone and the internet banking is as good as the AIB website.

I've banked with PTSB since the early 90s and haven't had any major complaints. I've been using their online service since it launched and it does most of what I need. It would be nice to have more control over adding/removing bill payments but I guess they need to control this for security reasons or something hence the need for a phone call. It would also be nice to be able to download statements in some electronic format (e.g. XML, CSV, XLS, Quicken/MS Money formats etc.). I don't use their branch services other than to speed lodge the odd cheque or counter lodge the odd stash of bagged coins.

I switched to PTSB from BOI about a year ago. All ok with switching direct debits, etc.
I find the branch service variable. My local branch (Phibsboro) is fairly cramped, with long queues (especially for customer service desk), and gives the impression that they don't have enough staff on the frontline. A call to the branch on O'Connell St/Abbey St (mid-week 2pmish), on other hand, found hardly any queue and good service. Also found Baggot St branch to be OK.
As has been said already, the online banking does what you'd expect it to - I also find the interface quite easy to use and well-designed.

I moved to PTSB from AIB nearly a year ago after I got my first quartely current account charge from them. AIB then offered me 18 months free banking, which I declined on principle! AIB just refunded me the €14 quarterly charge this week, so I sent them back a note thanking them for the €14 & informing them I would still be with them if I wasn't charged in the first place!
The switch to PTSB went fine, their queues in the Tallaght Branch can be long at times, but nowhere near as bad as AIB. The only problem I had with PTSB so far was when I lost my laser card. It took me about 3hours (in the middle of a weekday) to speak to someone on the phone so that I could cancel my card.

PatK,

On what grounds did they offer the free banking? I got a statement for the first time last week for the quarterly charges, 12.50 euros, and was never notified before that I was going to start getting charged for those so I'm trying to prepare myself for an unpleasant phone call. Thinking of switching to ptsb as well....

thanks for that, was having second thoughts about moving as , in fairness, AIB do give a good service, and you get what you pay for, BUT if ptsb are just as good i may well change.

club92 said:
AIB do give a good service, and you get what you pay for

I fully agree with AIBs service being good, especially the online banking.... but I'm delighted to see more customers moving away. Eventually AIB, and most other banks, will either have to offer their customers a lot more or else remove the fees for all customers.

As for AIBs offering to waive the fees.... seems a little random. I have a number of friends who were offered free fees and a few who requested to have their fees removed or they'd change bank. The ones who requested it are now banking with UB or PTSB while the others had very similar savings/income/spending habits. Could be the choice of the individual bank manager??

PatK,

On what grounds did they offer the free banking? I got a statement for the first time last week for the quarterly charges, 12.50 euros, and was never notified before that I was going to start getting charged for those so I'm trying to prepare myself for an unpleasant phone call. Thinking of switching to ptsb as well....

Isabel,
From my experience AIB will be very willing to offer you free banking if you notify them you are considering switching your c/a.
I joined AIB in my college years and they had me down as a student so I got free banking. After several years of working, they eventually realized that I was no longer a student and decided to start charging me. They offered me free banking because anyone who has a graduate account can avail of 18 months free banking after they start working. I got a refund of €14 in the post because they said I could have availed of 18 months free banking and thus should not have been charged.
Last year AIB called me to try to convince me not to switch, but all they would offer me was 18 months free banking and no guarantee that I could avail of free banking after the 18 months had expired. I had given PTSB all my details at this stage so I just went ahead with the switch, and I have no regrets.

Thanks PatK, that's exactly the same situation that I'm on. A bit of thinking to be done now as to what to do next.

I am currently considering moving from AIB to PTSB too, because of the AIB charges. I have had an AIB account for over 7 years, and it has had a healthy balance for quite a while, but AIB still refused to offer any concessions on charging when I asked them recently. The people that I spoke to also didn't forsee them dropping their current account charges in the future (although I have to presume that they will have to at some point - they might well be getting by on the fact that many people are too reluctant to risk a current account change right now, but confidence in the switching service should grow over time).

One thing that annoyed me, and encourages me to move from AIB, is that their staff were adamant that PTSB has hidden charges which make them far more expensive than AIB. When I queried what these hidden charges are, the AIB people came back with things like "dropping in to discuss your account will be charged for" (it isn't, but PTSB will charge you to have someone discuss managing your account with you, probably much like any bank including AIB) and "making withdrawals with the PTSB ATM card while abroad will cost you money" (don't care, I choose my credit card for that anyway). They verge far to close to blatantly lying for me to really trust what they say about the cons of moving to PTSB. It is good to hear that people have had good experiences making such a move as that is all the encouragement I need.

One other thing re AIB: I find their online service to be inferior to that of PTSB, from a networking security point of view. To access the AIB service, you need your registration number, your access code, and the last few digits of your home and/or work number. By comparison, for the PTSB online service you need your registration number, a password (that you select yourself), and your access code - the password is inherently safer than the phone number that AIB rely upon. Also, I have noticed that the AIB online service seems much more predictable in the digits of your access code that it looks for (it asks you for 3 digits, from specific positions) - whats more if you mis-type them, it'll ask for the very same digits again, which provides a means for someone to repeatedly try different numbers until they hit the correct ones (assuming they already know your registration number and phone number(s)). Basically, I find the security around the authentication stage of the AIB online service very flawed - it is shoddily implemented. The PTSB service has its own issues, but overall I find it a better service. Oh, and there is also the issue that occasionally the AIB service redirects you to an AIB server whose SSL certificate doesn't match the website name (or at least it did a couple of months ago, for several weeks), which isn't a problem as such but it is another indication of a poorly implemented/managed service.

askew70, how do you think the website interfaces compare between AIB and PTSB (appart from security point of view). I happen to like the AIB site as it is nice and quick to load over dialup and has the ability to easily add bill / transfers to other accounts.?

zat29, all that I have used my PTSB account for is to query the status of my credit card account, so I don't know how difficult it is to, for example, define other accounts to which you wish to transfer cash. Generally speaking though, I find the PTSB account easy to use and wouldn't expect it to be any more awkward/problematic than the AIB one for such standard services.

I prefer the appearance of the PTSB site, but that is really just a matter of personal taste.

Just to put the "cat among the pigeons" - why PTSB? Ulster Bank have free banking too - and a good online banking system. I would recommend them. Never switched to them - but joined them when we moved back to Ireland. They will hit you with fees if you go overdrawn - do ptsb do that?
Apart from that - they have been great. I never considered anyone that charged - and had to rule ptsb out because there was no local branch.

irishlinks said:
Just to put the "cat among the pigeons" - why PTSB? Ulster Bank have free banking too - and a good online banking system. I would recommend them. Never switched to them - but joined them when we moved back to Ireland. They will hit you with fees if you go overdrawn - do ptsb do that?
Apart from that - they have been great. I never considered anyone that charged - and had to rule ptsb out because there was no local branch.

I don't think the Ulster Bank online banking is that good-having it on two PCs is troublesome or impossible. And I don't think you can view your cc balnce online. Anyway, UB online banking has been done here before.......

ptsb charge fees if the account is overdrawn.

The issue of local branches is of no consideration to me, but then I'm not in business/self-employed, where I guess it is more of an issue.

If I was to choose on the basis of TV advertising, I would definitely go with ptsb, as:

(a) I think yer man from The Sopranos is great;
(b) The UB ads running at the moment are some of the worst I have ever seen- and patronising to boot-you'd swear that they had free banking on offer for ages!

Anyone else intrested in giving out about the ads-we best take it to Shooting the Breeze!

I've said it before but it's a bit ironic to have a screen gangster/mobster advertising for an Irish bank. BTW - I thought that your man on the PTSB ads was in Goodfellas and not The Sopranos? Or was he in both?

Back