Moving Back to Ireland

firsttimebuy

My friend and her Australian husband are thinking of moving back to Ireland this year sometime. My friend has worked in Australia for the past 5 years. If they moved back how long would it be before they could buy a house? Would they need to be working here for a least a year so they could produce a P60? Also would anybody know if they could organise a mortgage in Australia and buy before they come over here? Any information would be grateful. Thanks.

I dont think they would need to be here for 12 months to get a P60.

Apart from fact that if moved in May 2006 they would get a P60 in December 2006. Most banks will look at more than just the P60.

It will depend on the type of job, ie which sector, Part time vs full time, contract or permanent as well as the salary. This will be required for both parties.

They will look at disposable income, existing expenses, loans etc.

We moved from Uk to Ireland and got a mortgage in less than 12 months, OH was here 8 months and I was here only 3 months when approved.

Main thing is open and start using a bank account as soon as they return

Hi FTB,
Returned from Australia late summer last year after living abroad for over 12 years. Purchased an apartment in January. For mortgage, I just needed to proove regular saving in Australia as well as regular employment over the previous years and proof of that level of income. Tell your friend to bring bank account statments and Aussie equivalent to P60 for a few years to proove earnings and savings. Needed to have a job here and had one within a few weeks so just provided evidence of new employment contract. Used REA Mortgage choice who helped to make the process painless for me. Might be worth talking to a broker in advance but for me it was all pretty straightforward.

Happy to e-mail your friend direct if she/he wants any advice. PM me if you want my e-mail address.

Back