Moving an Irish pension to another EU country (Netherlands)

mangled85

Hey guys,
I've been working in the Netherlands the last 4 years and decided to come back to Ireland temporarily for the quarantine. I received a letter from Irish Life saying that they are winding up my Self Invested Fund. I am currently shopping around for pension providers who offer self invested funds in Ireland.
Many of you are aware of DeGiro lows fees for personal use in Ireland. They also have pension accounts in the Netherlands with an annual fee of 0.2%. Like most things related to money in Ireland, the pension providers take a heft cut compared to their continental equivalents.
Am I allowed to move my pension fund to the Netherlands?
Has anyone any experience in moving theirs to a different EU country?

Cheers

Far from being an expert here in this, but I know you are allowed Irish tax relief on pension contributions to overseas pensions but these are, IIRC, mostly limited to pensions created while you were tax-resident in that overseas country. Not the same as your request.

I imagine that you would face an immediate tax bill for the tax-foregone by the Irish Revenue - but this is only guesswork on my part. Irish Revenue is not in the business of effectivey subsidising eventual non-residents.

I can only see the first 4 pages Marc...any chance you could attach it directly to a post?

It took me the best part of a year to research all the issues to move my own pension from Ireland.

At my hourly rate, I’d say the cost of a cheap bottle of wine is perfectly reasonable to ask.

I set out my analysis in this post which you can read for free

The Irish revenue will allow transfers to other jurisdictions if the pension scheme rules in that country are acceptable to the Irish Revenue. You then have to find out if the Dutch rules will allow transfers in from other jurisdictions. The easiest way to start is ask Irish Life if they will permit a transfer to The Netherlands. They will have enough technical expertise in there to give you an answer.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back