Moving abroad - Offshore Savings?

Starbuck

I've been offerred a job abroad which will take me away for 2 years minimum. I have sold my house here and may never return.

The proceeds from the house sale are on deposit with a number of different banks.

If I go away I don't see much point in leaving the money here, to be hit with DIRT, and who knows what else.

The spot I'm heading for is a Tax Free haven (it just keeps getting better, doesn't it...).

Any advice on where to move the money?
I was thinking of opening off-shore euro accounts, even the Irish banks still offer these. But are they covered by the Bank Guarentee scheme, and will they escape DIRT?

I was thinking of opening off-shore euro accounts, even the Irish banks still offer these. But are they covered by the Bank Guarentee scheme, and will they escape DIRT?

Yes, the offshore subsidiaries of the guaranteed Irish banks are covered.

You will escape DIRT, if you are non-eligible of an Irish tax return.

Be careful, even if you are non resident for over 183 days out of the 365 days in 2010 you still might be eligible to declare bank interest income to the Revenue. Check your resident and domiciliation circumstances with the Revenue.

Any advice on where to move the money?

I don't know a lot about offshore accounts but Anglo Irish Bank Isle of Man has been mentioned favorably here a few times.

Back