Moving abroad later in life

billybobmac

Unsure as to where to post this, as not specific to any particular forum, but seeking some advice on whether it's a good idea to move abroad in our current situation.

We moved back to Ireland 15 years ago and started a family. We are both now unemployed following redundancies and with two kids under 10, a mortgage, and without professions. When we left school in the 80’s third level education was not as popular, as it was expensive and grants difficult to obtain. We did fine in US, worked constantly, and gained skills which found us work back here. However, now in our forties, these skills are no longer enough, customer care requires 2nd language and unskilled manufacturing jobs seem to have disappeared. We made some bad choices, became unfocussed and confused and now find ourselves without a lot of hope for getting work. We are hard working and very willing to work, but are becoming increasingly de-motivated and fear that if we leave things fester much longer, could also lose the house.

We are now toying with the idea of moving abroad. However, without any real skills and considering our age, is this a viable choice? We have no language skills, however, we are well travelled and we both have an interest in learning new languages. We haven’t had the house evaluated yet but it cost us 230,000 six years ago, and we reckon might fetch 200,000 (not a bad location).

Has anyone any experience in making such a risky move? We know our age prohibits us from Australia and US, but maybe one of the EU countries?

I’ve trawled the internet for advise, but it is mostly aimed at young people or older professionals. If anyone can advise us it would be appreciated.

Thanks, BB

We are a couple both 37 who moved to Holland almost two years ago and have never looked back. We are not university educated but have both secured good jobs. Quality of life is excellent and services/health second to none plus only an hour flight from Ireland for those visits home. Also Dutch is not required for the major international companies around Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague and Utrecht as the main business language is English however it is always appreciated if you make the effort. Job market is quite good we were both working within one month of arriving.

Many thanks for your encouraging response. I hadn't considered northern Europe before, but have always loved Amsterdam, so will have to look into it now.

No offence to you though, 35 is still young. In my experience in Ireland employers view that extra 10 years as a liability. I'd be interested in hearing how mature applicants are treated in other countries. We still have 20odd years of work left in us, but just can't get back into the market. I have a temporary job now, and I feel sure that my contract would be extended if I was younger.

Thanks again for your positive reply, makes me wish we'd made the move years ago.

BB

What ages are your children Billybob?

One option is to start your own business.
Something simple...cleaning company...ironing business...???
I lived in France for a while and they often look for couples to run chalets in the Alps. It is hard work, the money isn't amazing but a great environment.

You can usually get labouring work in the summer.

While the vast majority of emigrants are in their twenties and thirties, they are now being joined by a growing numbers in their forties, fifties and older.

According to Working Abroad statistics, 8% of those leaving are 46 and over.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle...led-for-work-now-im-joining-them-2571291.html

billybobmac - you are not alone and you shouldn't consider yourselves too old to leave. I am in a similiar situation, 40's, left for London in January. it's much more difficult when you older but if you have emigrated once it is easier to do it a second time.

Hi all

Thanks for the replies, it's encouraging to hear that we are not alone!

We have two boys, age 9 and 5. We are looking at Gibralter for work and living in Spain - that would be an ideal situation. The plan is to sell the house and move over there as soon as possible, I understand we will be able to collect SW payments for a limited period but we want to work asap. We will do the TEFL courses and hopefully get a start.

Shocking to find ourselves in this position - moving backwards instead of forwards! Hopefully in Spain or Gibralter we won't be required to possess a degree for most jobs.

Thanks!
BB

Hi all

We have two boys, age 9 and 5. We are looking at Gibralter for work and living in Spain - that would be an ideal situation. The plan is to sell the house and move over there as soon as possible, I understand we will be able to collect SW payments for a limited period but we want to work asap. We will do the TEFL courses and hopefully get a start.

Shocking to find ourselves in this position - moving backwards instead of forwards! Hopefully in Spain or Gibralter we won't be required to possess a degree for most jobs.

Thanks!
BB

I hope you know what you are doing as Spanish unemployment around the southern coast, Marbella, Malaga etc is rumored to be approaching 70%, Spanish youth unemployment is about 48% and their overall unemployment level is higher than ours!

Agree with the above, the unemployment rate is shocking in Spain, it would be madness to even think of emigrating there at the moment, I know of a young Irish girl there with an honours degree in English earning €5 an hour teaching english.

Billybobmacbilly - sometimes far off hills looks green but I really think as your kids are so young you or your partner would be better off availing of the third level educational opportunities for mature students in Ireland rather than thinking of emigrating to Spain at the moment. My kids are practically grown up with only one remaining in school and I have the hassle of commuting home every other week until such time as my partner is ready to join me here. The move over to Spain alone could cost you thousands not alone the hassle and stress of trying to sell your home.

Hi all

Thanks!
BB

Unless you speak fluent Spanish or are unusually gifted in picking up languages in a short space of time, I would think very seriously before moving there. I lived in Spain for 4 years and, although it is a wonderful place, if you don't speak the language it is very very difficult to negotiate your way around the bureaucracy. If you are relying on the public health and education systems, you will find it entirely monolingual. The same goes for everyday living - you will be hard pressed to find anyone in an electricity company, post office, estate agent etc who speaks English. Unemployment rates are shockingly high in Spain, salaries are very low and welfare is pitiful. If you do end up entitled to welfare for a transition period, you won't be entitled to Irish welfare rates just because of your nationality and I doubt you would be able to live on Spanish welfare rates without additional support. Have a look at this link - the short term welfare rates for a married parent of two children are between €650 and €1400 a month depending on how many years of social security contributions you have - and there is no rent allowance, no child benefit, no fuel allowance, no back to school allowance, no FIS .... Most Spaniards in Andalucia rely hugely on a mixture of black market employment and family support, so the number of jobs that actually pay a living wage that someone could comfortably rent a decent place and raise a family on are minimal. There may also be complications if you are working in Gibraltar and living in Spain in terms of tax and social security - you need to check this out before you go.

Sorry to be negative but it sounds to me like you are being seriously unrealistic about the feasability of a move. Would you advise a Spaniard who spoke no English, had never lived here and had no job sorted to move to Ireland in the current economic climate? If not, why are you doing the same thing the other way around.

Sorry - didn't post the link I referred to - here it is (in Spanish only!)

[broken link removed]

Agree with above.
However if you can afford to try it out bear in mind the relocation costs.
FOr example....when I moved to France it cost me around €1000 to get my car taxed, NCT'd(had to change headlights) in France. This I had to do within 30 days of arrival.

The brits living around me seemed to to have to do this, but no irish/french company would insure me otherwise.

So if you plan a trial...it will be costly...don't sell your house for at least 2 years. You need to be able to reverse out of it. Consider renting your house.

Consider being a chalet couple maybe in Andorra, if Spain floats your boat.
Check out for these types of jobs.

Your kids are a good age for a move although the 9 yr old will find it hardest. They say it takes 2 years for the kids to get fluent.
My 5 yo was pretty good after a year in school but my 3 yo opted out because she had one other english speaker in her class.

My friend teaches english in France and she also works as a cleaner...they cleaning pays better.

Don't underestimate the language difficulties of learning a new language (this will not be an issue for your children) the Dutch in particular are very positive about speaking English. In other countries International companies will look for English speakers. There are so many people doing TEFL courses that I wouldn't advise that. You will pick up a language faster and thereby get on better if you go to somewhere there are not other English speakers. People who go to Spain tend to not learn Spanish as they mix with the other expats, another poster has pointed out the pitfalls of life if you don't have Spanish in Spain, nevermind the job scene there currently. If you are willing to move and make the adaptations, necessary moving abroad can be a positive. The first year is the hardest. It only gets better after that, but you know that as you've done it before, so think back on that experience. Use that experience. Best of luck and don't let your age be a negative, the retirement ages are only going one way. 9 year old will have the most problems settling in so something to watch. Move at the end of term so they have the summer to settle in and try and invest in intensive language courses for everybody, it will be worth the effort.

Firstly I am sorry you find yourself having to think of doing this.
I agree with others stay away from Spain - they are in more troublle employment wise than us.
what about UK - any insights anyone ? no language issues etc.

Surely countries like Australia and those hit by all these natural disasters are going to need workers to rebuild. They may open up their visa requirements.

Hi, my wife and I are thinking of moving to the UK and we are in our mid-fiftys, the language is a big help and work seems easier to get there than here at the moment. I know wages are lower there but so is the cost of living.

Thank you to all replies, and for knocking some sense into us. I guess we knew the idea was a bit high-hoped, but we are seriously getting desperate. Savings are fast diminishing to pay the mortgage but whilst still employed on a contract we can't expect relief on that. However, we have ditched the idea of Spain, the difficulties far outweigh our current situation so recognise it would be madness. Oz and NZ are too far for us to take such a risk at our age. Dandy, the UK does look interesting, except I suspect we will face the same competition for jobs as here, regarding age and lack of qualifications. We are considering taking a trip and talking to some agencies. Seeking work online doesn't seem to be encouraged - basically don't even bother without a UK address!

If you are going the UK route would you be better off holding onto your savings and making a new life there with those. Does it make sense to continue with the house in Ireland if you do that? Have you enough savings to go to the UK for a couple of months to see how easy it is to get work?

Hi, my wife and I are thinking of moving to the UK and we are in our mid-fiftys, the language is a big help and work seems easier to get there than here at the moment. I know wages are lower there but so is the cost of living.

Hi dandy, What part are you heading over to? if it is London you won't have to wait too long before you will both be in employment. Things have slowed down somewhat here especially in the public sector but the private sector is still doing pretty good. Wages are only lower in some catagories it really depends on what you are doing. Yes the cost of living is also lower especially food but remember accommodation cost are high and you do have to pay council tax. However for your money, you will get council services that work and a health service that's free at the point of access. The atmosphere is vibrant in London, I don't see any of the doom and gloom that is so pervalent in Ireland at the moment.

Good luck with your move and be grateful whilst you are working in England that you won't be lumbered with an universal social charge or be hit with other indirect taxation in order to pay for the sins of the Irish political / banking system. :)

Hi Cashier, we were thinking of Windsor lived there for a couple of years in the mid ninties before returning home in 97 plenty of work around Slough
and London is only 40 mins on a fast train. As you say the doom and gloom here is really getting me down and there does not seem to be any real hope of things improving for at least 8 to 10 years.I am in the engineering game and should pick up something, not looking for huge wage just enough to have a comfortable life.As for services I can only see them going one way here as cutbacks kick in I really feel sorry for young people
starting out here.

Back