Moving a tracker mortgage to a PPR

Lizzy2017

A new poster and long time lurker has the following query.

My husband and I are reluctant landlords, but are in the fortunate position of finally owning our PPR.
Our home is quite small, and away from family and friends.
We wish to sell both properties(PPR and rented apartment) and purchase nearer to them.
We have savings and require a small mortgage to complete the move.
We have identified properties that suit us, and are in a position to bid on same having gone sale agreed on our PPR. Any of the three would suit us should we succeed in bidding. We do not want to enter the rental market and wish to purchase asap

The issue we have is the rented apartment. We have yet to serve notice on the tenants that we intend selling. As they are long term tenants, they require a significant notice period. I am unsure how long the apartment will take to sell given that it is outside Dublin.

We want to close on the new home asap.
We do not want to lose the tracker mortgage.
We want to move the tracker and use it as a mortgage for our new home, following the sale of the apartment.

My family have offered a bridging loan to cover the financial shortfall until such a time as the apartment is sold.

Can we pay cash on the closing day of the sale, and draw down a mortgage on the new property in about six months time when the apartment is sold?

T
here will be no other mortgage on the property at that time.
We can then use the mortgage to repay our family. The bank have confirmed that we can move the tracker but were assuming all transactions would be completed on the same day or before the closing on the new PPR.

We will not have the apartment sold before closing on the new property.

I cannot get a clear answer from the bank, and am reluctant to push the question in case we lose the tracker altogether...if the apartment cannot be sold, we will need to retain the tracker. We are fully tax compliant with the apartment, and are good landlords, but are anxious to exit the market given the recent legislative changes. Releasing the equity would also provide us with a financial cushion and replace some of the savings expended in the new purchase.

Should we just draw down a new mortgage and sacrifice our tracker rate?

Any advice appreciated.

I have read your post twice and cannot understand it.

1) Do you currently own a PPR?
What is its value?
How much is the mortgage?
Which lender is it?
What is the interest rate?

2) What is the value of the investment property?
How much is the mortgage?
Which lender is it?
What is the mortgage rate?
Was this property bought as an investment property or as your original PPR?

3) How much will you be paying for your new house?
How much cash do you have?
How do you propose meeting the balance?

Brendan

Apologies...

Yes.We own our PPR outright. There is no mortgage on it. It is valued at 400k.

The investment property is valued at 200k with a tracker of 70k outstanding and an equity release tracker of 20k. These loans are with BOI. The property was my husbands PPR prior to our marriage. The tracker is 0.8% over base rate. We have a rental income of 1050 monthly after paying agent 150

We have 120k in savings. We want to spend 600-700 on a new house. We want a mortgage for the balance.

So what is the question?

Cost of house €700k
Sell current house: €400k
Savings €120k
Mortgage required: €180k

Later on, sell Investment and realise €110k in equity.
Pay this off the mortgage.

Result:
House worth €700k
Mortgage €70k

We do not want to lose the tracker mortgage.

We want to move the tracker and use it as a mortgage for our new home, following the sale of the apartment.

It's generally a condition that the house with the tracker is sold first and that it's a mortgage on the family home. You can certainly ask BoI and they might make an exception for you.

But it's not worth that much to keep the tracker.

They increase the rate by 1% and you keep it only for 5 years. Then it reverts to the high BoI rates.

So the savings by transferring it are €90k (reducing) @ 1.5% x 5 years or about €5k.

You will lose most of this in the much higher rates charged by BoI on variable rate mortgages. You need a variable rate mortgage as you will be paying off part of it.

Brendan

That was the question.

I wanted to know how much it would be worth to try and keep the tracker.

Answer , about 5 K.

Sorry for my initial confused post, didn't realise I was that muddled.
Many thanks for your help here, and the advice that your site offers.
Rgds.

Back