Moved Job - Family Health Insurance

fred123456

Hi,

I moved jobs about 5 weeks ago, now i have to pay my own health insurance .
I was on a corporate plan of the BE Fit 2 which was 2900 per year.

I would like to get a similar plan say BE Fit1, just wondering is their anything similar for 2a and 2ch but cheaper as its a lot for one working parent to have to pay in a year.

Also i got a letter to say i need to change within the 12 weeks or something, i rang up irishlife and they said i could continue the corporate plan for 800 euro (back pay and cover to december). Now my question is if l change plan do i have to endure waiting times if something goes wrong like starting all over again. Can i start a new plan and have cover immediately.

I don't really have 800 euro to pay backpayment, is this necessary if i start a new plan, skint and thinking of Christmas for the kids.

Any ideas much appreciated. Being on some or another plan for over 20 years now.

Kind Regards
Fergal.

Hi fred123456,

You can change plans during the year with Irish Life with no waiting times to serve. You can switch to a new plan and have cover immediately.
If you lapse a policy for more than 13 weeks, you would be classed as a new customer and waiting times would apply in that situation.

Adult Options;
There are 2 Irish Life plans worth considering at cheaper prices. Regarding paying the back money, I'm not too sure if Irish Life will back date the
new plan or not. It would be worth asking if this is possible.
Details of 2 new plans as follows;

1. Irish Life 4D Health 1; price 1045pa; all public, private and two-thirds hi-tech hospital cover, excess 200 per private/hi-tech admission and
75 per day case procedure. Day to day cover included but the first 125 not allowed.

2. Irish Life 4D Health 2; price 1231pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, excess 150 per private/hi-tech admission and 75 per
day case procedure. Good day to day cover included, 1 euro excess, 50% refund for gp visits, consultant visits, etc.

[broken link removed]

Child Option
The following plan is worth considering for the children. details as follows;
1. Nurture Plan; Price 160 per child; public, private and Beacon hi-tech hospital covered, excess 300 x 2 max per year for all admissions
and 75 per day case procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. Limited day to day cover - the first 125 euro is not allowed.

[broken link removed]

When your renewal date comes up soon, in December or January, you can still consider your options at that stage including all 3 providers for
best value. For example, there may be new child offers at that stage. Health insurance is always just for 1 year contract, so the new contract
year can be with a different company if you want.

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks Snowyb for that, also was looking at control 300 Create from laya, what do you think of this plan for coverage.

fred123456,

Yes, Control 300 Create from Laya is a very good plan for coverage, both hospital and day to day covereage - once you are fine with the 300
excess if admitted to a private or hi-tech hospital for surgery or for a stay. There is full cover for a private room in a private hospital on this plan.

If the 300 excess is too much, an alternative option is Simply Connect price 1100pa.

There is a child offer from 15th December 2018, pay for 1 child and the 2nd child+ are free. Essential Health 300 price 234 for first child.
If hi-tech hospital cover is not a priority for yourselves, this is a good plan to consider which covers public, private + Beacon hospital.

[broken link removed]

What is your renewal date?

Regards, Snowyb

Hi Snowyb
Thanks again. You see I have finished my job and moved into public sector. I think it lapsed in middle of october so I no policy. I make it that I would be within 13 weeks if I held off to December. Is this a bad thing.
Financially for me it might be better. Thanks so much for all your great help. Much appreciated.

You can't switch to another company until your year's contract is complete.
Otherwise, you would have to pay 2 months health insurance levy or the remainder of months left on the policy to Irish Life.

If you wait until your official renewal date, you may still fall within the 13 weeks so that you are not starting off as a new customer.

When is your official renewal date?

Snowyb

Hi Snowyb,

I was reading the letter i got from Irish Life to say my policy was cancelled. The date it says it was cancelled from was 22/09/2018 and i had to ring to check when my contract would of ended, they said it was the 15th of December, so that gives me until the 22nd of December to get a new policy in place if i am correct.

Kind of weird they say your contract is ended and you have no cover, but you cannot switch, kind of caught in limbo. It looks like i have no choice to hold out or pay the back payment to Irish Life Group policy.

Just one other question, €165 shortfall per night - presume you would have to pay this every night if in one of these private hospitals.

God health insurance is a minefield now, you would nearly need a degree in it.

Kind Regards
Fergal.

Yes the 165 shortfall for a private room is per night.

Control 300 Create fully covers a private room in a private hospital, just the 300 excess on admission. A once of payment if you are admitted for
a stay in a private hospital for surgery or treatment.

The 15th December will be your key date to set up your new policy. The Laya child offer kicks in from Dec 15th, nice timing.

It will be a monthly payment, which is less pressure than the back payment, although not great timing so near to Christmas.

It can be a headache, mulling over plans and looking for the best deal at the right price at renewal time.
This is new to you, having had all of this covered by your previous employer. It was a great perk to have, apart from having the cost covered,
it eliminated all the hassle of deciding and choosing every year.

All the best,
Snowyb

Hi Snowyb,

I rang Irish life last night to discuss a plan with them, they said that i can sign up with any policy i want from now. I will fall within the 13 weeks and their was no issue moving to laya or anyone else because my corporate plan was cancelled. They said because my contract was cancelled by my employer that i can move.

On another note i am very weary of this shortfall so i started looking at other policies, say VHI policies start plan, family plans are ok with excesses of 250 but no shortfall. Sorry for all the questions.

Just want good cover for my family.

Kind Regards
Fergal.

fred123456,

That's interesting information about being able to move because it was your employer that cancelled.
I wasn't 100% sure about corporate plans and the finer details of cancelling etc so that confirms what I was wondering.

Regarding a shortfall, there is no 'shortfall' to pay in any private hospitals on the plans recommended.
There is a difference between a shortfall and an excess.
An excess is a once off payment only made if you are admitted to a private hospital for a length of stay for surgery or treatment.
A shortfall means that surgery is not fully covered and you have to pay a shortfall or supplement payment.
There is no shortfall on any plans recommended, just an excess if you have surgery in a private hospital or as a day case procedure.
Note; there is no excess or shortfall to pay in any public hospital.

There are a couple of options to consider going as cheap as possible, covering both public and private hospitals.

Note; the cheapest childrens offer at the moment, including private hospital cover is with Laya, price 234 per year regardless of how many children you have ( this offer applies from 15th December 2018).
However, one adult has to be insured with Laya in order to get the childrens special offer.

OPTION 1;

First Adult; Laya Essential Health 300; price 895pa; all public and private hospitals covered(including Beacon hospital) excess 300 inpatient and
125 per day case procedure.

Children; Laya Essential Health 300; price 234 for all children per year;(from 15/12/2018) all public and private hospitals covered.

Second Adult; VHI Start Plan 250; price 731pa( note this plan will finish from Jan 2018 but if you sign up in December you're ok for a year),
This plan covers a selected list of public and private hospitals,( its important to check both lists to make sure you're happy with the hospitals
covered), the excess is 250 inpatient and 150 per day case procedure.

Total family price; 895 + 234 + 731 = 1860 per year (155 per month)
[broken link removed]

OPTION 2
Both Adults;
VHI Start Plan 250; price 731pa; this plan covers a selected list of public and private hospitals(again its important to check both
lists to ensure you're happy with the hospitals covered) the excess is 250 inpatient and 150 per day case procedure.

Children;
1. VHI Start Plan 250; price 119 per child; selected list of public and private hospitals, excess 250 inpatient and 150 day case procedure.
or
2. VHI Start Plan; price 103 per child; Note; this plan only covers public hospitals and the 3 Dublin childrens hospitals are covered, there is a
restricted selected list of hospitals covered so again its important to check this list to see if it suits your location.

Total family price; 731 + 731 + 119 + 119 = 1700 per year
or
Total family price; 731 + 731 + 103 + 103 = 1668 per year

[broken link removed]

For OPTION 1 you can sign up from 15th December 2018, as the childrens offer applies from that date.

For OPTION 2 you can sign up with VHI anytime in December but before your 13 weeks expires.

Hope this gives you a few more ideas to consider.

Snowyb

Back