Moved from Ulster Bank to AIB. Credit card next...looking for advice.

almostthere

I have moved my current account from the Ulster Bank to AIB before Christmas. The Ulster Bank account is still open with just cash sitting in it. I have now completed moving all my direct debits, inward payments of pensions etc. from my Ulster Bank account to my new AIB account.

My next process is moving my Ulster Bank credit card to a new credit card provider.

I am considering an AIB credit card because my current account is now set up with a history of transactions. Will this speed up the process when I apply for an AIB credit card? I would imagine that I will not have to provide customer I.D. or six months bank statements etc. That information is already there. Would I be correct in thinking this?

Alternatively, I was looking at a Bank of Ireland credit card. I have no connection with bank of Ireland. I assume that I will have to provide lots of paperwork if I go down this route?

Also. How long is it taking to get an AIB credit card set up from date of application......if already an existing customer?

Having gone through a very painful process for my AIB CC I think you should have done that first.

Mine took 7 weeks to process moving from KBC at end Nov 2021. AIB are extremely bad TBH. If you can, pick another provider. I am still struggling with their ineptness and outdated technology.

- As you are assessed for credit agreement, it involved for me, two visits to my local AIB branch. To say I was not impressed is an under statement.
- I asked to transfer a credit balance, that got lost in translation even though AIB acknowledged receipt of all correct paperwork.

- When you do eventually get a card, you cannot use it online without registering for the app, involving a further letter with a registration number.

- I went for the platinum card but I get no benefits.

- Their Card services contact is non-existent, I had three calls where I waited over 4 hours and gave up. They direct you to Twitter and FaceBook where you engage publically with a human. That's not my style. BTW, when you do call, you are not told where you are in a queue, 3rd call was 1 hr and 45 mins with same message playing over and over.

AIB are not set-up sufficiently to cope with the influx of new accounts.

Try Avant or anyone else

Thanks Nordkapp. I have been on the phone to the AIB credit card team since I posted on AAM this morning. Total nightmare.

My current account is with the AIB for over 6 months now so they have lots of information about me. Pension details etc.

When I phoned them I had to answer security questions and give details about my current account. I am then transferred to card services, where I am asked the exact same information that I gave to the person who answered my call. He then decides that I need to talk to one of their sales team in card services. I am left waiting 20 minutes for the sales team to answer. I then have to give all my security information for a third time.

The person from the sales team could not answer the basic information about credit cards. Everything was read from a laminate.

The person did not know about the App nor anything about the new strong customer authentication system in place. As far as he was concerned nothing had changed and I could just purchase away online.....but "maybe some credit cards might need this".

I tell him that I am an existing credit card holder with Ulster Bank and can I have this transferred to you. He doesn't know but suggests that I apply for an AIB card now and then transfer the balance later. I ask him...do I do this or do you have some system of doing this? He doesn't know.

My credit limit is based on the AIB's assessment of me so I cannot get the same credit limit that I had with the Ulster Bank. Fair enough.

I am asked the value of my home, details of my savings elsewhere, salary/pension other income. I suggest that most of this information is on my bank statement, details of which he is looking at. I ask him, based on my income information provided do I qualify for a card and does he really need to know the value of my house and details of my other savings. (Why do they need to know the value of my home).

He then tells me that I have to call to my local AIB office and provide documentary proof of my PPS number, despite the fact that I gave this information when I opened my account with the AIB six months previously.

However the good news is that I will most likely be approved and have the card posted to me within 10 days, after I have brought in proof of my PPS number to my local branch, for the second time.

He then suggests that he transfer me to the department that deals with their Apps to go through the process with them.

I suggest that I should leave that for another day.

I would advise people to stop thinking that the credit card needs to be in the same bank as their current account. If you are looking for a balance transfer, have a look at Avant or even An Post. Think they are still offering 0%. You will need usual ID, payslips and bank statements but application is painless. If you check online, they will even give you an idea about what sort of credit limit you are looking at based on some basic financial information.

If you check online, they will even give you an idea about what sort of credit limit you are looking at based on some basic financial information.
This was my point. The AIB already have this information about me because they can see the inward payments on my AIB bank statement. Yet they could not tell me based on this information what my credit limit would be. Their approved credit limit is based on my "income". So why was I being asked about the value of my house and my savings accounts elsewhere if it is only income that counts?

I would advise people to stop thinking that the credit card needs to be in the same bank as their current account.

While it doesn't have to be, it probably is simpler to have it with your current account.

I have an AIB current account and an AIB credit card. The payment is taken automatically. In the event that it was not taken then I don't need to negotiate between two different organisations to find out what went wrong.

Having said that, the above service nightmares far outweigh this small benefit.

Brendan

He then tells me that I have to call to my local AIB office and provide documentary proof of my PPS number, despite the fact that I gave this information when I opened my account with the AIB six months previously.
OK. I have thought about and decided to check this out.

I rang customer service in the AIB and I got talking to a lady who seemed to know the ropes. She said that she would contact my branch and see if I had in fact gave documentary evidence of my PPS when opening my account. She said that she would get someone from the branch to phone me back. I got a phone call pretty quickly.

Apparently I did give evidence of my PPS number when I opened my account and they have a record of it but apparently this evidence was not good enough. The evidence given was the plastic card that the Department of Social Welfare issued to me some time ago. They took a copy of this at the time.
I was just about to make the journey up to my branch with the same card but thankfully I checked this out before doing so.

Apparently the credit card department will only accept a pay slip or tax return/allowances form with the PPS info number on it. The official Social welfare services card is not acceptable.

The person in the Credit card department never made this clear when asking me to bring this info in to a branch.

The person from the sales team could not answer the basic information about credit cards. Everything was read from a laminate.
Just a further update on my post above.

I have now received my new AIB credit card and PIN. When speaking to the person on the phone at the time of application he confirmed that I would have the same credit limit as my current credit card with Ulster Bank, €3000. I note on my new AIB credit card information that my limit is only €2700 after being told it would be €3000. Another annoying detail.....when making the application over the phone (I am an existing joint current account holder with AIB with my wife). I also gave details for my wife to have an additional card on the account. Nothing for her arrived in the post.

I seem to be spending my time correcting mistakes and following up on errors made by incompetent people who are let loose by companies in customer service.

Yup, I feel your pain. I want as little as possible contact with them. Just got a yada yada response to my official complaint and cash back has only been added for April, seemingly jan to March don’t count for whatever reason.

I wonder how difficult it will be to add the extra card holder….

I have an Ulster Bank credit card account that I want to close. There is a small credit balance on it. How do I close it?

Can I phone them and ask them to transfer the balance to my existing Ulster Bank Current Account.....will they do this over the phone?

Can I call in to a branch and withdraw the credit balance? Can they do this?

or

Just wait until the Ulster Bank announces that all credit card accounts are closing and follow their instructions.

I have an Ulster Bank credit card account that I want to close. There is a small credit balance on it. How do I close it?

Can I phone them and ask them to transfer the balance to my existing Ulster Bank Current Account.....will they do this over the phone?

Can I call in to a branch and withdraw the credit balance? Can they do this?

or

Just wait until the Ulster Bank announces that all credit card accounts are closing and follow their instructions.
Their website isn’t terribly useful as many links bring you to an “Error 404” message. Anyhoo, here’s a number they say you can call to close it down: 0818 210 261

Not sure about closing fees but pretty sure they’ll seek the annual €30 government fee from you. And the account balance will have to be nil before you close it down.

I have a UB credit card and am just tempted to leave it until Ulster Bank close it for me.

If it's less than €30, then you should top up the credit balance until it is €30. They will have to charge you stamp duty.

However this is to cover the current year until 1st April next year so you will receive a letter to say you have paid this and can give it to a new provider and they shouldn't charge again.

I'd close it sooner rather than later, certainly before April next year or you will have to pay another €30.

I've an Ulster credit card that I'm trying to close. I paid the €30 stamp duty in April but they're looking for another €30 stamp duty before I can close it. If I pay it, presumably they'll send a letter which I show to my new provider and the €30 is refunded? I'm tempted as well just to leave it until Ulster close it.

The €30 they are looking for is for the year 2nd April 2022 - 1st April 2023.

they still have to charge this even if they close it as it's a Government duty.

Just be aware that if you don't close it and they are still operating the card next April, you will have to pay another €30 for the following year.

The ordeal of getting my new AIB credit card continues.

It is up and running. I can use it as a chip and pin but not for online banking.

I need to be able to purchase flights, hotel rooms etc. online. To do this I have to have "secure authentication" set up on my smart phone. I do not have a smart phone. I have a phone that will not allow Apps. I use my wife's phone number.

I contact the AIB card services depart to start the process of being able to use my credit card for online purchases. I am told that my digital profile needs to be updated. I cannot do this over the phone I have to call to my local branch and give them my mobile phone number. Even though I had already given this when I opened my new AIB current account in branch. I call to branch and give them my phone number.

I phone card services again and I am told that I need to update my digital profile online. I thought that I had done this when I called to the branch.

I go through the process but they will not confirm anything until they have checked the information on the sim card in the phone?

Does anyone know what this means, what information can they get?

Also. Our current account is in joint names but the credit card is only in my name. I am concerned that using my wife's phone number for the credit card may cause problems even though it is acceptable for the current account.

Our current account is in joint names but the credit card is only in my name. I am concerned that using my wife's phone number for the credit card may cause problems even though it is acceptable for the current account.
I don't have any specific knowledge about this but I would recommend that you get it sorted so that your own number is associated with your credit card. It is conceivable that you might receive a text message or call from AIB when you are trying to use your card one day so that they can confirm that it really is you making the transaction.

The story you describe is infuriating.

To do this I have to have "secure authentication" set up on my smart phone. I do not have a smart phone. I have a phone that will not allow Apps. I use my wife's phone number.
I think that you can set up the secure authentication on a non-smart phone if you don't use the AIB App. Rather you choose to use password identification, sent to you by text? Does anyone know if this is correct?

I am in the same situation. I have a smart phone but it's an old phone and will not accept Apps.

I go through the process but they will not confirm anything until they have checked the information on the sim card in the phone?

Does anyone know what this means, what information can they get?
How can a bank check what information is stored on your sim card? How come this information is available to them?

In my case, I have a hand me down phone from one of my children who seem to update their phones every other year. I have no idea what information is stored on my own phone.

Is it even possible to check the information on your sim card without having the sim card in your possession?

I contact the AIB card services depart to start the process of being able to use my credit card for online purchases. I am told that my digital profile needs to be updated. I cannot do this over the phone I have to call to my local branch and give them my mobile phone number. Even though I had already given this when I opened my new AIB current account in branch. I call to branch and give them my phone number.
So, you gave them the information when you opened your current account?

You gave them the information again when you called to the branch?

You have phoned them again and still they want you to wait while they check your sim card details?

Back