Move to Kildare or buy in Dublin ?

I moved to Maynooth recently and am very happy with my decision. I like having a bigger house with more room, parking etc. I find that all the facilities I need are in the area-pubs, restaurants, shops etc, and it's a short drive from other towns, Liffey Valley etc. I normally use the train which I find very convenient and have also used the bus services on occasion. I still go out in Dublin regularly and get nitelink or taxi home. I would definitely consider Maynooth/Celbridge/Leixlip as they are all nice towns within reasonable distance of Dublin IMO.

Train commute from Heuston to Hazelhatch in Celbridge is only 13 mins in the evening. The train station will become a dart station under transport21 with 4 lines serving the city centre. This work is already underway. So it really depends on where in the cty centre you work, but I get the 6:40 train from Heuston every evening and am sitting down at home in Celbridge by 7.

That's all very well if you work right beside Heuston station, but if the OP doesn't then it may not be so convenient. I work in Dublin 4, and can get a train for Maynooth-Grand Canal Dock directly in the morning, and the same in the evenings. If I lived in Celbridge I would have to get a dart to Connolly, the Luas to Heuston and then the train home, which would be costly and a lot more tiring than a direct journey. My commute is around 50 minutes but I find it pretty comfortable as I don't have to change trains etc

So it really depends on where in the cty centre you work, but I get the 6:40 train from Heuston every evening and am sitting down at home in Celbridge by 7.

Sounds ideal alright, but then there's getting the red line to Heuston, and if this had to be done at between 5-6 it gives a different perspective. Then when you get into Hazelhatch there's the drive into Celbridge at peak time. If you live the other side of Celbridge I'm pretty sure you can forget about a 20min timeframe from Heutson to couch.

Sounds ideal alright, but then there's getting the red line to Heuston, and if this had to be done at between 5-6 it gives a different perspective. Then when you get into Hazelhatch there's the drive into Celbridge at peak time. If you live the other side of Celbridge I'm pretty sure you can forget about a 20min timeframe from Heutson to couch.

True. I work near Stephens Green, so I walk from Heuston every day rather than taking the Luas to Jevis St and then walking to Stephens Green. It is a great way to get exercise. If I leave work at 6:10 I'll be in Heuston in time for the 6:40 train, so I am forcing myself to walk for 30 mins twice a day. And as you say I live on the Hazelhatch side of Celbridge, so I don't see any traffic.

i used to live in celbridge and drove to leixlip to get the train at louisa bridge, 5 min drive in the mornings and €5 a week parking at louisa bridge, you are not guaranteed a seat though at peak times!

Why don't you rent out your apartment and move to one of the towns you're considering buying in, and rent a house for six months/a year? The rent will be cheap enough to cope with (At least I'm guessing it will because rents outside of the city are less). That way you won't have to worry about stamp duty and the hassle of finding a buyer for your apartment for a while. Plus you'll know for sure if you will like the area long term and if you will be able to cope with the commute for years to come. Getting recommendations for towns is all very well but unless you try it out for yourself you won't know for sure if it'll suit your family long term

Why don't you rent out your apartment and move to one of the towns you're considering buying in, and rent a house for six months/a year? The rent will be cheap enough to cope with (At least I'm guessing it will because rents outside of the city are less).

Renting for some time sounds like a good idea. Will give you a feel for the area before you shell out the SD.

I'd recommend you need to go out to the area and test the commute on a Tues, Wed, or Thurs - not in summer. Both ways.

Just finished commuting after a number of years and the relief is amazing. 20 mins into work instead of an hour and an half each way. I don't think I would ever go back to it if I can help it. In the beginning it was fine but traffic got worse and worse season on season, year on year. I also tested the original commute in summer...not knowing any different after living in the Dublin for so long. The new bus lanes in Booterstown were the latest squeeze.

Trains: Maynooth train is jam packed. People standing in doorways between carriages. People sometimes faint. The train can be stopped outside Connolly for 10 minutes as darts and the Enterprise have priority, esp if the train misses its slot. I used this for some time but didn't find it very reliable.

You definitely need to test the commute. Find out if there's a chance the train/luas/bus is full before it reaches your stop...this happens closer to town. Talk to people when you get on. A change to dart, bus, luas from the train will all add to the journey.

Best of luck.

Back