Mouse in the dishwasher

• Thread starter cullenswood
  • Start date
C

cullenswood

Hi

Mrs cullenswood found a dead mouse in the bottom of our dishwasher yesterday evening, and wasn't too pleased about it!

How would a mouse get into the dishwasher in the first place? We have moved into a new house about 3 months ago, and I have been told that mice do like new houses, but how would it get into the dishwasher!!

On a slightly related issue, the same dishwasher doesn't seem to be draining anymore as there is water in the bottom (think it was this water that drowned out four legged friend). How would one solve this problem?

Cheers

On a slightly related issue, the same dishwasher doesn't seem to be draining anymore as there is water in the bottom (think it was this water that drowned out four legged friend). How would one solve this problem?
Remove the remains of the other dead mice that are blocking the outlet.

Remove the remains of the other dead mice that are blocking the outlet.

Don't say that! Would you reckon it is the remains of other mice that are in there?? And any tips how I'd get them out?

Erm, there has to be something blocking it, or else the water would drain as it is designed to do. It may indeed be other mice.

There are only so many ways into a dishwasher, or there were in the old days anyways. 1) the big door at the front, 2) the water inlet, 3) the water outlet.

I think it is reasonably safe to say it it not the inlet unless there is a plague of sub-aqua mice in the mains water system.

The big door on the front does seem like a logical place for a mouse to come in.

The outlet is possible if the mouse was related to Danger Mouse - it would mean crawling up the pipe outside the house, navigating the pipwork and the u-bend which is supposed to be full of water and somehow squeezing himself through the filter. No, hang on a second, even Danger Mouse couldn't manage that. The big door at the front is your most likely suspect.

What you need to do to resolve the draining problem is have a look at the internals of the machine and uscrew all the filter bits and covers and see if there is anything blocking the exit pipes.

Does it just fill with water, or does most of it get drained and just a bit left inside ? If it is just leaving some behind maybe the machine is on a slant ?

z

Blockage just turned out to be a kink in water outlet, so that solved that. Checked the other pipe aswell just in case any 007 mince were making there way up it, (and to placate Mrs Cullenswood) and not suprisingly they were clear. Mouse must have just come in the big door at the front.

No sign of any other mice around the house, so hopefully he was a lone ranger.

Mighty Mouse

"No sign of any other mice around the house, so hopefully he was a lone ranger. "

Doubt that!!!!

A lot of time washign maching and dishwasher hoses will just go staright into an outlet(marley) pipe and will not pass through a u-bend...

Re: ..

dishwasher and washing machine hoses should go into a stand pipe. This is to raise the water level above that of the drum.

Isnt it about time that Chez Cullenwood got a moggie ?

Re: .

Is a moggie a cat, if so, hate them. Evil animals, never know what theya re thinking!!

Why do you need to raise the level abovre that of the drum? About to connect up appliances in new house. Will connect the dishwasher to the sink outlet using a sink outlet with a spur on it. Can you clarify what way one should connect the washing machine. Right now, there is just an up/down straight pipe about 2.5 feet high that has an elbow at the end to bring it through the wall. What should I be doing other than just showing the washing machine pipe into it?

I would advise getting loads of traps. Just back from holiday - caught 5 before the holiday and our dads caught 4 more. Hasn't been one in the house since last Monday so hopefully they're all gone.

Ultrasonic plug in things don't seem to do anything. The best things for catching the little sh*ts are peanut butter and minty aero (boyfriends dad discovered that one!).

Hopefully you have no more because they're so horrible!! I've disinfected the house so many times now!

Have set three or four traps since, but not one mouse has been caught, and I can't hear any of them scratching anywhere, so am hoping there was only one. Am using those new style mouse traps that you don't have to put food on (they have some kind of attractant on them), and are much easier to set etc. Anyone else used these??

Have a couple of those new plastic traps in the house and they haven't caught any of the mice. The wooden ones have caught all 9 even though have the plastic traps in the same rooms. I would try one or two of the wooden ones instead.

The wooden ones have caught all 9 even though have the plastic traps in the same rooms

I don't think it's the plastic trap themselves that are at fault, but rather the "attractant" in them. We've used them with a bit of cheese inside as bait, and to great effect!

Mousetrap

Cullenswood

Why not just leave your dishwasher open and let a few of them jump in? Then just run them through an intensive wash.....

P

"Am using those new style mouse traps that you don't have to put food on (they have some kind of attractant on them), and are much easier to set etc. Anyone else used these?? "

Sound like the ones that we used last year when we had a nest in the garden shed and we caught 12 in total. The trap is beige in colour and comes down on the head to trap the mouse! You would not want to be too squeamish to deal with the disposal - I certainly did not have the stomach for it and my better half was left to look after them.

Have you had a read of

Back