motorway driving

T

tubby

This is a plea to all drivers using the motorways of Ireland...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pull back into the slow lane after overtaking a car. I take the M1 from Balbriggan to the city daily and it is SO frustrating. People wont pull back into the slow lane with the result that there is a long ribbon of cars in the fast lane going at 50mph while those of us who have the manners to pull back in to the slow lane a) cant get back out into the fast lane because of the tightly knit line of cars who are out there already and b) have to restrict our speed cos 9 times out of 10 there are less cars in the slow lane and we could undertake. PLEASE motorway drivers, get out the rules of the road and learn some motorway manners...

and while they're at it . . .

they could all look up the section on indicating at roundabouts too. The amount of cars on the road who seem to be on secret missions is astounding!!

Re: and while they're at it . . .

Hi Tubby - While you are right in theory, this cannot apply to all motorways at all times. Take the M50 at peak times - the traffic is just too heavy - it just won't fit in the inside lane, so both lanes need to be used.

Agree rainyday but I am talking about situations where there are very few cars in the slow lane but the fast lane is chock a block. If the slower car would just pull into the slow lane to let the faster ones by, it would make a lot of difference. But some people stay out there hogging the road and then swerve back into the slow lane just as they approach their exit! Also, you may st agree that you can see on many occasions, the "sunday driver" sauntering along in the fast lane with noone in front or behind him/her! Coming onto the motorway from the Balbriggan exit every morning, looking at the state of the traffic, I'd easily say that there could be 7/8 cars in the fast lane for every one that is in the slow lane.

driver behaviour

For the most part that I use, Red Cow to Kildare, both lanes on the N7 (and three where available) are needed just to keep the numbers of vehicles moving.

Driver behaviour on dual carriageways and motorways which particularly annoys me is the non use of indicators when overtaking. Just as bad is the late use of indicators i.e. when the indicator is put on when the car is halfway into the outer lane.

What you describe is one of the very frustrating things on Irish roads. But I question your use of the terms slow and fast lanes. I think that's a lot of people's mindset, "I'm doing 70 so I'll stay in the fast lane". There's the innermost lane for driving and outer lanes are for overtaking

M-way motoring

tubby

There is no slow lane.

The standard limit for both lanes on a motorway is 70mph.

While the offside lane is nominally for overtaking, you are not permitted to exceed 70mph.

Motorists are entitled to travel in the offside lane at 70mph if they wish.

However, good practice comes into play:

If in the nearside lane travelling at 65mph, you may find yourself going to 75 in the offside to overtake. Not strictly legal, of course.

Similarly, there is no need to be in the offside lane if you are unimpeded on the nearside.

Motorway volumes being what they are, both lanes are in equal use at busy times.

You are permitted to 'undertake' on the nearside if the offside lane is travelling slower than you. Should be avoided wherever possible though.

T.

50mph

tacet,

you need to read what tubby said.
"People wont pull back into the slow lane with the result that there is a long ribbon of cars in the fast lane going at 50mph "

Re: 50mph

Volume of traffic might necessitate driving in both lanes in some cases but in many cases drivers are simply unaware that unless you are overtaking you should not be in the outermost lane. That should be the rule obeyed whenever traffic volumes are not high.

In Australia there are regular signposts to point this out. They would also be helpful in Ireland I believe.

Re: 50mph

The Gardai should prosecute those who hog the overtaking lane, just as they do persons who drive fast.

Back