Motorists splashing pedestrians.

BOXtheFOX

I have noticed that there are a huge number of motorists out there who have absolutely no awareness that they are driving in to roadside puddles and splashing pedestrians. I have seen motorists drive bye with this vacant expression on their faces oblivious of the fact that they have just soaked somebody.

It happened to me walking to work one day, makes no odds to some drivers once they are in their nice warm cars!! I spent the rest of the day drying out because some tunnel vision twat couldn't use his head! Some drivers don't get the fact that pedestrians were there first.

I was driving in Dublin on Saturday during that mental downpour. I was just coming off a roundabout near the Phoenix Park, massive puddle by the pavement, cars behind me, then I catch sight of a guy under a tree right next to said puddle. Not a lot I could do, to be honest. Fortunately (for my conscience) he was already completely saturated, but I think I may well have added to his misery.

So, if you're out there, Mr. Wet Man, I'M SORRY!!!

I vaguely remember there being a legal implication to motorists splashing people?

I vaguely remember there being a legal implication to motorists splashing people?

Lay off the drugs Caveat ! :)
How on earth could there be a legal implication to this ? The same laws could well apply if one child splashed another in the playground by stamping in a puddle. Please say we're not at that point of lunacy just yet !

Lay off the drugs Caveat ! :)
How on earth could there be a legal implication to this ?

Well I did say vaguely ...but maybe it's the drugs making me vague in the first place. ;)

I know, it sounds crazy and probably just bar talk/compo culture gone mad, but I'm sure I've heard this before from more than a few sources.

Something like that it can be considered as an assault ... of sorts :confused:

...but maybe someone can confirm.

Don't know about Irish law, but I know in Scotland there have been several prosecutions for this, in cases where the driver had clearly either soaked the pedestrian deliberately or made no effort to slow down or drive around the puddle.
Fairly sure it was "driving without due care & consideration", and that you can get up to 9 points on your licence.

Ya i have heard of it that if the 'victim' takes reg no it can be followed up and offender would have to cover the cost of cleaning or replacing clothes, can't back up this unfortunately.

Don't know about Irish law, but I know in Scotland there have been several prosecutions for this, in cases where the driver had clearly either soaked the pedestrian deliberately or made no effort to slow down or drive around the puddle.
Fairly sure it was "driving without due care & consideration", and that you can get up to 9 points on your licence.

9 points !? Unbelievable ! Should the council not also be liable for not keeping the drains suitably maintained to prevent a flood accumulating in the first place. :rolleyes:

9 points !? Unbelievable ! Should the council not also be liable for not keeping the drains suitably maintained to prevent a flood accumulating in the first place. :rolleyes:

9 points is the max, Pique. That would maybe be a case where a driver had clearly gone out of his way to soak someone.
Can't see how a council could be liable - a drain can block at any time, regardless of how often it's maintained.

It's really not that hard to drive around a puddle, or to slow down enough that you're not creating a Perfect Storm type wave on the pavement.
If circumstances were such that it WAS unavoidable, I'm sure a driver could fight a case for that.

Happened me when on I was in college. I was waiting at a bus stop and a guy from my course soaked me by driving through a puddle. It was a friday morning in november, I was not impressed and swore revenge. I found his car in the car park and opened the drivers door and proceed to fill the drivers seat with 8 litres of water, when i had finished I locked the door and didn't say a word, he had to drive from Cork to Westmeath that evening. Bet he thought twice before doing it again.

My only regrett is that I didn't use milk.

In Germany, if you splash somebody and dirty their clothes they can take your reg no. and you are obliged to pay dry cleaning expenses.

The driver who soaked me while I was cycling home in a downpour last week actually did me a favour, though I wasn't best pleased at the time. Once I got soaked to the skin all over, I couldn't get any wetter, so the cycle home was fairly pleasant from there onwards. It's not worth wearing raingear in this warm weather - you just get wetter on the inside with sweat than you would from the rain.

Predestrians have their own way of getting back at drivers though. Sitting in the car the other day, rain lashing down and two brollies bashed off the side of my car, the people brandishing them were totally oblivious.

Predestrians have their own way of getting back at drivers though. Sitting in the car the other day, rain lashing down and two brollies bashed off the side of my car, the people brandishing them were totally oblivious.

Fairly small people then? Or tall car?

I was in a taxi once where the driver very deliberately swerved into a roadside puddle and completely soaked a couple walking on the path - driver then slows down, leans out the window and shouts 'wee-wee pants' at them before we drive off. Dreadfully childish, unprofessional behaviour. It was pretty funny though. :p

I was in a taxi once where the driver very deliberately swerved into a roadside puddle and completely soaked a couple walking on the path - driver then slows down, leans out the window and shouts 'wee-wee pants' at them before we drive off. Dreadfully childish, unprofessional behaviour. It was pretty funny though. :p
Definitely worthy of a report to the Taxi Regulator...

Back