Motoring Expenses During Training Period

cian8

Hi all,

My wife has been offered a new job based in Limerick where we live. However, for the first six months she will be required to travel to Cork for training. As it currently stands the employer is not willing to reimburse travel expenses during this period. I have two questions:

Is Limerick her "normal place of work" during this period?

There is a physical location in Limerick where she will be permanetely based, also during the training she will transition from 5 days per week in Cork to 4 days Cork 1 day Limerick and so on... It seems like the answer is "YES" to me.

Are the motoring expenses "necessarily incurred in performing the duties of his/her employment"?

Not sure about this one.

I welcome any feedback that anyone might have.

Cheers,

cian8

(notes: she will probably have to travel up and down 3-4 times per week as we have two small children so staying down for the entire week is not feasible. It is a very good job opportunity but during the training period they don't pay the full salary so the expenses would be very helpful. There is still some wiggle room to negotiate expenses)

her personal (not work-related) circumstances dictate that she must do 3 or 4 return journeys per week. If she were to drive down (say) on Monday and return (say) on Friday, would the company pay hotel bills (or a per diem) for the week and 1 Limerick - Cork return car expenses? If the answer is yes that's your answer and that's probably the limit to what they'll pay or be obliged to pay.

Back