Motorhome around Europe for 2 months. Advice?

bq67ie

Hi,

My wife & I are considering bringing our family (us & 3 kids) and taking July & August off some year, and touring around Europe in a motorhome.

I've started looking at different motorhomes but it's difficult to get solid information and "floor plans". Most of the sites I've seen so far are just aggregators from the usual rental companies.

Has anyone out there undertaken a similar trip? Would love to hear from you with any advice, warnings you might have.

We did that a few years ago. We bought a 6 berth, coachbuilt motorhome with an overcast double, a fixed rear bed for the wife and l, and a convertible dinette in the centre. Ours was British built so it had an oven which was very useful. It also had a huge rear garage which stored a full size BBQ and plastic patio furniture.

Motoring in Europe is made very easy. There are many free camping places, called Aires in France and stellplatz in Germany. The ACSI campsite guide is invaluable, ALDI sometimes sells it. Renting for two months would be very expensive. Magazines such as MMM Monthly and Practical Motorhome are good for comparing models.

We visited 12 countries in 6 weeks, very tiring for the driver. Much better 5 weeks in France the following year.

If you have any specific questions, l will do my best to answer. We don't have a motorhome anymore but still dream of retiring and touring in a camper.

No warnings except check countries' roadregulations, e.g. France requires you carry hi viz vests for all passengers o motorways, a warning triangle and breathalyzer, etc. Don't camp overnight at truck stops. It is less safe than campsites.

I browse for motorhome on mobile.de (you can select english).
I actually bought from a large German dealer. Very helpful to deal with.

If you've never camped/caravanned/Motorhomed before would you consider trial runs in Ireland in a hired one. Some kids love it, others not so much.
Before you make a final decision talk to those who've already done this. Their tips/advice will be invaluable. Many years ago we did the camping/caravaning etc but never actually brought the horse to France

I am always telling people that I want to buy a motor home and take off, when the child situation allows.

And I always get this advice

If you've never camped/caravanned/Motorhomed before would you consider trial runs in Ireland in a hired one.

And I dont get it. I want the freedom to travel, not the pleasures of cramped living. I'd hate a wet week in a motor home in Donegal, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't love the freedom to travel across Italy.

I'm probably in the Skinflint bracket here. Back in the early 1980's we bought an old P&T van by written tender for a song (remember the mustard coloured vans with PT written in black on the side). It had been driven into the ground as was usual back then. I got some help from a sympathetic trainee mechanic who got the van roadworthy by repairing everything that needed repair in the engine and very cheaply. I built a bed and had a few windows installed plus a two ring gas cooker. The portaloo was new. Off we went through the UK, down through France and all the way through roundabouts that would try Lewis Hamilton until we arrived in south eastern Spain where we nearly melted. The van was mechanically fine, the beds comfortable, the cooker working but we didn't consider airconditioning. Big Mistake! I lost weight that year in that four wheel motorised sauna.

The memories are great though. Would I do it all again? No bloody way!

And I dont get it. I want the freedom to travel, not the pleasures of cramped living. I'd hate a wet week in a motor home in Donegal, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't love the freedom to travel across Italy.

The risk ( especially with 3 kids) ,is that a few days into the dream 2 month holiday, that one ( or more) of the 5 of you discovers that 2 months of living in very cramped conditions with your family is hard work and the freedom of the road will not make up for it.

A shorter trip close to home is a sensible idea to make sure it is for you. If you are sure, then go for it.

Spot on! We bought a caravan because our kids were getting a bit blase about foreign holidays. I decided that they would holiday like l did when l was their age- 2 weeks in a caravan in Galway or Kerry. We towed it to Achill for a weekend where it poured all weekend...l resolved to tow it to France which we did for 5 weeks. Towing is not much fun so l bought the motorhome.

Camping on the continent is a much more outdoors affair, with the inside used only for sleeping.

Hi folks,

Thank you all for the advice and opinions. @Slim I'll pick up a few of those magazines - good idea.

@fraggle I've bookmarked that site :) I don't know enough to pick any brands yet, but at least I can get a feel for prices etc.

I like the idea of trying it out in Ireland first. I know the weather won't be the same here, but I think it still makes sense to see if the kids enjoy the travel experience, if not the specific location/weather.

Does anyone have any advice on brands/models to go for or avoid? Is having to convert the living area every night a big hassle? Are they as big and clumsy to drive as they appear from the outside?

Thanks again everyone.

Does anyone have any advice on brands/models to go for or avoid? Is having to convert the living area every night a big hassle? Are they as big and clumsy to drive as they appear from the outside?

Thanks again everyone.
If you're buying, the German brands are very high quality: Hymer, Hobby, Dethleffs, Knaus. British marques: Explorer Group incl. Swift(entry level and up) & Bessacar(more luxurious), Autosleeper, Autotrail are all quite good. Other continental makes: Adria(Croatia), good, Lunar,(Frenchnot so recommended), Benimar(Spanish), so so. Many brands are owned by one major company like Explorer. There are different levels of van within each make, from basic to luxurious.

British makes are more likely to have an oven, which is useful. If you buy in Europe, the vans will be left hand drive and the habitation area will open onto our 'off side' which is fine if you're in Europe. All are built on commercial van engines/cabs, i.e. Fiat Ducato so are easy to drive, but you must always bear in mind the height and width. You do get used to it. If I was buying a coachbuilt again, I would buy a low profile van which is less of a 'horse box'.

You could also consider a panel van conversion, they are a bit smaller inside but easier to drive/park and more waterproof. That's what I lust after now!

My campervan: 51Campsite at Trippstadt, Germany.JPG

You need to make a choice on size vs flexibility.
The problem you will encounter is driving the van in towns/tight places can become stressful... driving and setting up from one campsite to the next will be fine.

One approach is to get a big van so lots of space... but ensure that wherever you park up.... it is easy to walk/cycle/bus to the immediate area.
Another is to get a more compact van and feel more comfortable driving it around day to day.
Each will be a compromise and it depends on how you like to spend your day. I like to be out and about visiting towns/attractions all day so my next van will be small... a panel van conversion. I used to have a big Knaus... it suited us when we had kids as it had 2 dining tables, and we could all sleep without having to make up beds from the tables.... but I found it tough in villages etc (stress!!!!).... but then again lots of days were spend on campsites with waterparks for kids.

Thanks (again) for both your comments. I've literally no idea what I'm doing :D so this is all very helpful - food for thought.

Don't think we will be taking the big plunge until 2019 but I think next summer we could try a week in Ireland and take it from there. Yeah I know this is slow, but not easy to line up extended time from work, and it's a lot of money to save up.

Don't think we will be taking the big plunge until 2019 but I think next summer we could try a week in Ireland and take it from there. Yeah I know this is slow, but not easy to line up extended time from work, and it's a lot of money to save up.
Good idea. I would suggest 2 things, sign up to www.motorhomefacts.com and read lots about layouts, brands and dealers. Second, consider importing from UK or Germany. Be very careful about online ads!

Classy looking campervan Slim. One thing, when you are at your campsite and need to go to the shop do you need to pile into your "house" each time? I think a caravan should also be considered for this reason. Also it doesn't have an engine so no tax, servicing , things to go wrong etc. Friends of our bought a caravan 2 years ago. Not sure what they spent on it but it wasn't much. The rationale was that when they will sell it in 5-7 years time they'll nearly get back what they paid for it.

Classy looking campervan Slim. One thing, when you are at your campsite and need to go to the shop do you need to pile into your "house" each time? I think a caravan should also be considered for this reason. Also it doesn't have an engine so no tax, servicing , things to go wrong etc. Friends of our bought a caravan 2 years ago. Not sure what they spent on it but it wasn't much. The rationale was that when they will sell it in 5-7 years time they'll nearly get back what they paid for it.

Thanks Firefly. Lovely when you get it but by the time you sell it, you(I did) hate it! To be fair, it served us well but did spring a leak or two. Yes, when going to town or big shop(nearly all campsites have a small shop), you have to secure everything, especially in the fridge, learnt that the hard way! You get used to it. Motor tax on the motorhome was low, not sure what it is now. The camper and caravan(on household) needed insurance, so not much difference there. A caravan gives you the flexibility to drive around in your car but towing a caravan is a pain in the rear end. You're also more limited in villages, turning, parking etc with a caravan.

I would still be torn between the two. If you buy a good quality caravan/camper secondhand, you may well recover most of your money but it's not certain. My current fantasy is a converted panel can, lots of videos on Youtube, but they area bit tight for space.

Back