Motor Motorcycle insurance ballpark

shoestring

Hi all,

does anyone have an idea how much approx it would be for a 40 year old male to insure a 250cc cruiser style bike, with a motorcycle learner permit?

With no previous insurance or claims discount you are looking at 900+ I'd say based on my quote with no claims and full A license.

It depends on the type of insurance (third party, tpft or comprehensive) and the age of the bike - some insurers won't insure bikes over 20 years old for the first time.

You could check out an online quote at:

[broken link removed]

The other companies are

Carole Nash
AONinsure.ie (brokers for AXA)
Adelaide

As a rough guide, I paid around €300 third party for a 250cc cruiser when I returned to biking a few years ago (on a learner permit).

I would have thought no more than e500-600. I insured a Ninja 250 with a learner permit for about e500 with Quinn (now Liberty).

Also check out the options for rider training which are run through insurance companies. If you go through proper training they may give you a quote based on a full licence even though you still have a learner permit.

thanks a lot for the replies, did an online quote (cheers gipimann)with a made up reg plate and got a quote of 583 for a 250 marauder. Seems a bit steep for TPF&T, I was expecting more along the lines of the 300 mark

If it is your first year on a LP then that's about right. The premium will fall dramatically once you get your full license. But if you want to dramatically reduce the premium then I would advise getting some training from accredited instructors. But ensure they are recognised by your insurance company.

Shoestring,

The amount I quoted above was also for a 250cc marauder, and was third party only, so given that it was a few years ago, your quote sounds about right. Bikes are quite vulnerable to theft, so it is reflected in the premium cost.

To confirm what theoneill said about dropping premia after getting the licence (and some NCB) , I now pay less than €170 third party on a 535cc cruiser and a 250cc sportsbike.

Shoestring,

The amount I quoted above was also for a 250cc marauder, and was third party only, so given that it was a few years ago, your quote sounds about right. Bikes are quite vulnerable to theft, so it is reflected in the premium cost.

To confirm what theoneill said about dropping premia after getting the licence (and some NCB) , I now pay less than €170 third party on a 535cc cruiser and a 250cc sportsbike.

I'm considering getting a second bike. Do you get a multi-bike discount?

You won't break any landspeed records on it! Anything over 95-100kph and it feels like it's struggling a bit (it's only 20bhp as you probably know). I've seen others on the same type bike keeping well up with the bigger bikes though!

Great wee bike though, very forgiving for learners!

PS - you know that as a learner you're not allowed on the motorway....;)

theoneill,

I'm with AON and they price the insurance for multiple bikes by insuring the bike that's in the highest insurance group and then adding about €25 (this may have gone up since I last renewed) for each extra bike.

Liberty (formerly Quinn) don't offer a multi-bike policy, if you go with them you insure each bike separately.

Thats pretty much where I'd like to be. Is the Marauder OK at motorway speeds BTW?

I can't speak for the Marauder 250 but I had a Ninja 250r which would top out at 110mph, on the motorway it was fine. I'm unsure how a 250 cruiser would cope. If you can't keep up with the traffic you would be better off avoiding motorways.

Personally I think the 33BHP limit is dangerously low, I would have thought a 50-60BHP limit would be more appropriate. but that's an argument for another day / thread / forum :)

theoneill,

I'm with AON and they price the insurance for multiple bikes by insuring the bike that's in the highest insurance group and then adding about €25 (this may have gone up since I last renewed) for each extra bike.

Liberty (formerly Quinn) don't offer a multi-bike policy, if you go with them you insure each bike separately.

Thanks for the info, it's good to know. I had no idea that liberty did not offer a multi bike policy.

Back