Motor tax rebate

Teatime

I have a car that is taxed until late this year but this car will now be off the road for forseeable future. I might even scrap it.
Can I get my motor tax money back somehow?

i seriously doubt it.
for example, the road tax goes with the vehicle when its sold and is non-transferable.
so i imagine the road tax will not be reimbursed.

Refunds of motor tax

It is possible in certain circumstances, to claim a refund of motor tax. Your application for a refund, should be made directly to you local motor tax office, on Form RF120. Circumstances where you may claim a refund of motor tax include;
  • The vehicle has been scrapped/destroyed or sent permanently out of the State,
  • The vehicle has been stolen and has not been recovered by the owner,
  • The vehicle has not been taken out or used in a public place at any time since the issue of the current disc,
  • The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of illness, injury or other physical disability, to use the vehicle,
  • The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of absence from the state for business or educational purposes, to use the vehicle,
  • The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of service overseas with the Defence Forces, to use the vehicle.
Tax discs must be surrendered immediately as refunds are generally calculated from the first of the month following the surrender of the disc. A minimum of three unexpired whole calender months must be left on the disc when surrendered.

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,17194,en.pdf

No problem. I know when I got my last car, it didn't have tax and I had to tax it again, there was a gap of two months where the car wasn't on the road. The local Garda signed and stamped a letter to say so, and the tax was only applied from the time it was on the road.

Back