Motor Motor insurance query, two ncb, one car

thomas1234

hey,

my wife and i have a car each. i drive mine only two days a week, so we were considering getting rid of mine. i can take the bus to work those two days. (the other days we work together, so take her car, as it's nicer than mine!)

if i was to sell my car, what happends to our no claims bonuses? i have 9 years ncb, she had a crash last year, so i guess it's best to have me as the main driver on the family car, and her as a named driver, and just forget about her no claims bonus?

financially it's a fairly neutral decision, as i have no car loan, and the bus fare would probably be the same as the daily running costs. also, i'd quite like our son to see that his folks pay more than just lip service to reducing our carbon footprint.

is there something else that hasn't occured to me?

thanks

tom

Nope. Effectively her no claims bonus is probably gone depending on whether she had step-back protection or bonus protection. She would probably be lower rated than you as the main driver but would balance out because of the crash.

1234 is technically correct, your wife won't earn a NCB but she will earn a named drivers discount (NCI). This isn't worth as much as. a NCB but it would be a big help if she does decide to get a car in the future. My advice is to get quotes in both names and decide from there. Your wife will most likely be more expensive if she has lost her NCB (and may be even if it was protected) but it may no be a big difference in price as women tend to be cheaper to insure.

Hope this helps Bear

... if i was to sell my car, what happends to our no claims bonuses? i have 9 years ncb, she had a crash last year, so i guess it's best to have me as the main driver on the family car, and her as a named driver, and just forget about her no claims bonus? ....
The rules are simple. If you are not the registered owner / beneficial owner of the vehicle and are not the main driver of the vehicle (the one who drives it most frequently), then the insurance cannot be in your name. The insurance needs to be in the name of the person who meets these criteria, which sounds like your wife in this particular case.

If you think this sounds somewhat pedantic and splitting hairs, bear in mind that if you knowingly provide false information on an insurance proposal form, then your contract with the insurance comapny is on pretty shaky ground.

AFAIK, an unused NCB reverts to zero after 12 months.

Thanks for all the replies.

On checking her policy, her ncb is indeed protected, the quote to renew with me as a named driver is ok.

I was going to ask what happens to an unused ncb, but mathepac answered the query, thanks!!!

If I was to be the insured party, then we'd just transfer the car to me. I'd only be the driver for 2 days, so it'd have to be her policy with me as a named driver, I guess!!

Cheers

Tom

Actually Mathepac an NCB is valid for up to 2 years from cancellation date so OP has a fair bit of time to decide what to do.

Bear

Back