Motor insurance - no claims

The Bunny

I just received my motor renewal policy document. My No of claim free years on the policy is 0. My percentage of no claims discount is 50% (apparently the maximum). I have had 10 years driving with no claims but earlier this year somebody ran into the back of my car and I claimed off their insurance. When I rang the insurer they told me my No of claim free years is now 0 due to the notification of accident, but as I'm getting the maximum discount it doesn't matter. But if I want to move insurers I have a no claims cert that says 0 years. Surely this is non competitive - meaning I won't be able to move easily?

Anybody else a similar experience and what did you do?

Thanks

maybe just a typo or even what they like to clal a 'computer error'. If you claimed off someone elses policy though your own it may have been logged as a claim on your policy by accident. But you should check with them.

When I rang the insurer they told me my No of claim free years is now 0 due to the notification of accident, but as I'm getting the maximum discount it doesn't matter.

Unfortunately this seems to be a common scam by some insurers, i know of two people who had very similar incidents. Phone them back and inform them you want your full no-claims advisory restored or you will involve the ombudsman. It is, after all, a no-claims bonus, not a 'no notification of someone else hitting me' bonus.

If they don't relent insist on speaking to someone higher up, take names and advise the ombudsman. The last twice i heard of something similar it only took a few hours before the apologetic call came through from the insurance company about the 'miscommunication'.

your bonus is your bonus no matter what amoujnt of years it shows. Its the fact it says 50% that is important and not the 0. It can show 0 as well if you make a windscreen claim. I don't understand Eurofans statemetn as thsi being a scam.

Its a scam because the OP didn't make a claim...The claim was on the other persons insurance therefore the OP should still have a full NCB.

The 50% is irrelevant if the OP wants to move insurers.

The 50% is irrelevant if the OP wants to move insurers.

Exactly and this is the chief problem. Some insurers are using reporting of an accident (with no fault of the insured or claim on the insurance) is sufficient to deprive you of the 'number of years' statement. They themselves may still apply a discount but if you wish to switch insurers you'll find you're denyed a proper statement from them with regard to how many years of no-claims you have.

It was for this very reason my own broker advised against reporting a small accident to my insurance even when I was not at fault. Scandalous situation imho.

Thanks for all the replies

I got back on to broker and they said that a new insurer would look at the Percentage of No Claims Discount rather that the years of no claims bonus. Therefore as I had the maximum % of discount (50%) it would be taken into account. If it wasn't I have to get the new insurers to talk to the old insurers so they could explain the situation.

They said this was some new legislation that ment it was based on the % discount as opposed to years.......... think i'll run it past the ombudsman just in case.

I am renewing insurance with a 40% ("four years" NCB), the cert quotes the 40% and states that the actual no. of no claims years is 2 - because I had a windscreen claim a couple of years ago.

When getting quotes from another insurer, I explained the situation, and was told that the 40% discount still applies. The new insurer also covers windscreen claims without affecting the NCB.

Back